Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any non-CELTA-certified teachers out there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew_k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Any non-CELTA-certified teachers out there? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone in Germany, particularly Berlin, may be working without a CELTA or other TEFL qualification trained in Europe. I studied Linguistics with a minor in TESL, and have not received any reply from the schools to which I've applied. I know I'm not an idiot, so either they have no work, which doesn't seem likely, or perhaps don't like that I don't have the CELTA. Which seems irrational considering I studied my field for over 2 years rather than 1 month intensive course which supposedly would teach me more fundamentals than I already know. I've spoken to TEFL teachers I know about voicing, airstream, and phonetics and can't help getting frustrated when they think they know what they're talking about. But knowing what I know doesn't necessarily make me a good teacher, which I don't know cause no one's willing to give me the chance. But does the TEFL course really offer you much more?

Before I came to Germany, I emailed the CELTA course locations themselves and asked if they thought I should still take the course, and they told me they thought I was over qualified. However, maybe the employers feel differently.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a citizen of an EU member country? If not, that may very well be why no one is contacting you...the paperwork is just too onerous.
matthew_k

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, it's not. the process is not at all like you continuously say it is here. many non-EU citizens are working here, and in this country. and no one has to do the paperwork except yourself, so i can't imagine what's so onerous for the language companies who probably have a standard letter of employment anyway.
puhutes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any teaching experience what so ever that you can put on your resume? I have my TESOL certification and none of the people I work for care about it. They care that I speak fluent German and they care that I have taught before... I used to teach music in high school and I worked in a call center for many years (teaching people how to use their computers and internet) doing tech support.
Kootvela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both CELTA and teaching experience, but I did not get any reply from many, many schools. I assume they are too busy there to reply to every single email they get, so they notify only chosen candidates. My two cents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's due to teachers applying from abroad? I know that in Spain the place I worked for got many speculative applications from abroad, almost all of which went in the bin. There were enough people there on the ground handing in CVs so no need to take a chance on people turning up or not.

Is Berlin also a case of being on the ground and pounding the pavements? I'd be really interested to hear from those there as it's on my shortlist for the coming year.
SF21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most schools won't touch you unless you're in Germany or on your way here.

And spiral78, that's not entirely true. I'm a post-CELTA newbie and non-EU, YET got my one-year work/residence permit 30 minutes after handing over freelance employment letters from a couple of schools to the agent processing me.

Actually, I spoke to a school last week that's in the interview process of tendering full-time work even for non-EU folk. So I say to anyone, you gotta be on the ground to get a sniff. Forgot trying to apply from abroad.
matthew_k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not applying from abroad. I'm living in Berlin. And running out of resources fast! Smile At least I have a free apartment.

I would like to begin work, whether it's tutoring, anything to gain EXPERIENCE. Everyone's got to start somewhere, i don't really understand how anyone gets a job these days. Especially a college tennis player who has nothing other than "team-work" to put on his resume! Sorry, but I didn't really have time to work in a coffee shop during college and get promoted to manager.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew a website for tutoring postings. In France there's this website I hear, viva something, that works fairly well I've been told. I was wondering if there was any option like this for Germany.
matthew_k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occurred to me, I bet the companies check these discussions and see who they can match and who they want to hire. I guess I would if I were in their position. I should have picked a more discrete profile name.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't claim to be expert on Berlin's teaching scene but I'd also hazard a guess that you're there at the wrong time. September seems to be the main time for filling vacancies in Europe followed by a lesser period in January. Late Feb really doesn't seem to be the best time.
puhutes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know... this time of the year is the lowest period for ESL work in Germany. My boss (who's owned a language school for over 25 years) says it is like this every year after Christmas and the beginning of the year. I also don't have many clients outside of the groups I've been teaching for extended periods of time.
whya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't have any experience of working in Berlin but from the private language schools I know in the south of Germany then it definately helps to have a work permit before applying. In almost all the language schools I know of, most teachers are contracted as freelancers and therefore the school can't/won't help with work permits.

I've never been asked for a CELTA but it does help to have a degree. Also I'd recommend going personally to the language schools with your CV and cover letter, that tends to work better than just sending them by post or e-mail. If you are applying to private language schools then the busy time is just about to start. Most students for intensive courses come over the summer and as long as you get good feedback from your students they will be willing to keep you on afterwards (although your hours may be reduced).

Anyway thats my experience from the Mannheim/Heidelberg area, not sure how different Berlin is, but I think there will be similarities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: