Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you heard of these programs? Thanks for any feedback.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Have you heard of these programs? Thanks for any feedback. Reply with quote

I'm interested in teaching ESL in Latin America (Chile, Argentina..maybe Brazil) and also possibly Thailand. I was wondering if anyone has heard of Teachermexconnect.com. It's a placement program that helps you set up a job in South America/Mexico. Just wondering if anyone has feedback. Also, has anyone heard of Teachchile.com? I may be applying to their program, but wanted to see if anyone had any feedback about it. If so, thanks.

Just to give a little bit of background about myself. I'm currently working as a high school English teacher (not ESL) and I also have my ESL certificate. I have traveled outside of the country (Austria and Ireland) but have never lived outside of the US. I've been teaching high school students for about a year and a half. I'm very interested in other cultures, love teaching, loved my experience learning about how to teach ESL abroad, and really interested in using it. I'm single and have a little bit of debt but not too much.

Thnx-
carrola

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: teachermexconnect sucks! Reply with quote

I tried to work with this group for a few weeks and paid a small amount to get into their database, but never had any personal responses, only automated responses that never addressed my questions directly. I ended up just blowing my money because they never came through with anything their website promises. I also read a lot of bad reviews about them but it was too late! Save your money. I was placed through a group called TeachingChile and it's a big cost ($895) but has proven to be worth my while. Cost includes placement with reputable schools and a good medium between the school and you, as well as paid housing for the first month. On top of that, with the housing for the group of teachers, it proves ot be a great asset when starting a new teaching job- it's been really helpful that we can all brainstorm and motivate one another while adjusting to a new city/country/job, etc. Also, Bruce and Andrea who run teachingchile are really helpful before and after arrival. they are great resources for most everything you need for your transition. NO i'm not being paid to promote Teachingchile, just am having a great experience with them!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teachermexconnect is not a reputable organisation. HAve you considered teaching at international schools? Look at the LA forum, at the top at the useful links sticky for good links.
alishamr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Glad to hear you may be considering Chile. I recently moved to Chile from the US at the end of Feb. Currently I am in the north of Chile and I like it very much so far. I also visited Peru in route to Chile and really loved the culture, architect, and beautiful beaches.

I do not have any experience working with teachermexconnect but when i was doing all of my research i found many posts that this was not a reputable organization. As for teaching Chile, I am not sure. However, I would say that if you are comfortable taking care of arrangements yourself, I would recommend that you not pay for a placement agency. I found all of the language schools in Chile on the net, and started contacting all of them via email about September of last year for the upcoming year. I received responses from many schools before making my decision. It will take time to do your research and find what fits best for you, but if money is more valuable than time you will save several hundred dollars.

As for Thailand. I did not teach there, but spent the summer there after I graduated college. I LOVED IT! I would highly recommend northern Thailand. There is a town called Chang Mai, and it is wonderful. Lots of trekking, hiking, water rafting, and it has the best outdoor night market. AND...the best part is that Thailand is extremely inexpensive! If you check out my website I have many pics from Thailand posted and some from my travels so far in S. America. www.freewebs.com/alishamr

I hope this information will help!
Ai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to come to Chile you should look at an international school like Nido de Aguilar or an English speaking Colegio like the Grange or Craig house. These schools would hire you to teach the subject that you are certified to teach. The pay is MUCH better than working at a language institute.
mike30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If you're a certified teacher you shouldn't be working anywhere BUT an international school. You're salary will literally be 3-4 times what you'll make teaching ESL. Worst case scenario a public school job still pays double what you get from an institute when you add in 3 months of paid vacation.
Lunkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what type of certification is needed/required to teach at an international school in santiago? i am getting the impression that some schools require either the celta or trinity cert, whereas I spoke with Bruce from teachingchile.com and he said only an online TEFL certification is required.

i'm looking to move to santiago in february in 2009 and need to get all my ducks in order

Smile

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: