Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Hail- To accept or not to accept?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyTrunkshow wrote:
I can go camping again too. Here in Taiwan, it's too hot in the summer and the nights are grossly sultry. The days are cloudy, muggy and often rainy. Also, the woods are full of large and scary insects from poisonous millipedes that seem to be everywhere to all kinds of stick bugs, flying things and snakes. I hate camping in the jungle.

Camping for a female? I wonder about the advisability of this one if Hail is as conservative as Cleo says. This would mean that going alone could be problematic... and going with a group of mixed sexes would be... um... problematic. Is there anyone here who knows about this question?

There are likely also plenty of scorpions (and likely camel spiders) to beware of... snakes too I'd think. Not as bad as jungles though...

VS
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mytrunkshow is a boy. I'll have to go camping with other boys then. Crying or Very sad

Are there many scorprions awaiting me in my slippers? Oh, great. That just reminds of the old Vincent Price movies where he tortures a fella with them.

Camel spiders? Are they posionous too?

Regards,
mytrunkshow
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I thought that Cleo knew something that I didn't about your identity (that I hadn't noticed). Laughing

I never had scorpions in any residence in the Gulf, but many found them here and there when they camped... even inside the tents.

Google up camel spiders... (not a true spider) you don't want to encounter them, but hopefully they are quite rare. Also there are many wild stories about them, but the biggest problem is the healing of their bites according to the doctors that I talked to in Oman.

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A camel spider, which is also in the class Arachnida with spiders interestingly enough, is not a spider at all. A camel spider is actually a solpugid, and there are about 900 species of them known to date. Around 50 species of camel spiders are found in southwest US and about 240 in southern Africa. The reason behind the name �camel spiders� is simply because they are found in the desert. A Camel spider is also known as wind scorpion, sun spider, and wind spider.

A camel spider can run at 30 mph and they have a terrifying scream while they run! At least that is what urban legend and popular myths would have you believe. The truth is that a camel spider can only run about 10 mph. Camel spiders can get up to 6 inches long and are nocturnal creatures (prefer the night). the Camel Spider will dig holes and burrows where they spend time during the day. Because the camel spider possesses no venom and is not poisonous and must rely on other assets, for example their force and their speed.
Camel Spiders can jump 4 or more feet into the air, eat the stomachs out of camels, and can grow to be the size of a dinner plate - again, another myth of which none are true.

In fact, the picture of the soldier holding the camel spider is really a picture of two camel spiders attached to one another and held out in front of the soldier to make it appear larger than it really is! The picture of the smaller camel spider below is what you can expect.

Screaming Spider
What spooks so many people is that the camel spider seeks out shadows, so if your walking (and even running), the camel spider will actually follow your shadow! This leads to people imagining that the spider is screaming while chasing them!
Because they run so fast and stay in your shadow, you might think they are chasing you but in fact, they are simply staying out of the light.
The next time you are walking and notice a massive spider following you, don�t get to excited, it�s just you standard camel spider seeking shelter.
Camel spiders are nocturnal and they spend most the day hidden in burrows that they excavated themselves rather than using a pre-existing hole.
A Camel spider is more likely to be seen during the spring and summer months due to the fact that they dislike cold weather. Camel spiders typically feed on insects, scorpions, or lizards and often eat so much that they become bloated and can hardly move (much like I do when eating out!)

The camel spider is not dangerous and typically does not bite humans unless it is on accident or they feel threatened, as is the case with other spiders. Like other spider bites, it is important to consult a doctor immediately after being bitten by a camel spider, especially if the kind of spider is unknown.

http://www.badspiderbites.com/camel-spider.php
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyTrunkshow wrote:
Are there many scorprions awaiting me in my slippers? Oh, great. That just reminds of the old Vincent Price movies where he tortures a fella with them.

Regards,
mytrunkshow

Yes, but can you name the movie?

NCTBA Laughing
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NCTBA,

Was it the Abominable Dr. Phibes or Dr. Phibes Rises Again?

Regards,
John
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, but can you name the movie?

Jeepers, Creepers. Not likely. Even a cursory scan of IMDB doesn't ring a bell.

Vincent Price tortures about 7 people in the movie. One of the victims gets put into a jar, another gets stretched to death and one has scorpions put down his pants. That is when we hear the victim scream....we are left to think the scorpion bit his dingaling.

It could be Dr. Phibes but I was about 10-12 yrs old when I saw this absolutely frightening movie. I still remember the wackiness of it 33 years later. It is highly likely I never saw the title as I remember after I tuned in that I didn't know how much more to wait until it was over-so I didn't see the opening credits. There was little in TV guides hanging around at our house-not that I would have read them then. I recall sneaking downstairs on a Saturday night, the volume of the TV was turned down low and the lights were off. AaaaaaoooooooooOOO.

Snakes in the desert? Camel spiders? Scoropions? Oh my. What purpose does VS serve in fueling me nightmares?

Regards,
mytrunkshow
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear NCTBA,

Was it the Abominable Dr. Phibes or Dr. Phibes Rises Again?

Regards,
John

John gets the Kewpie doll! It, indeed was the late Vincent Price as the dastardly Dr. Phibes! Remember the one where he got on the floor above the victim, drilled a hole in the floor, slowly dripped some kind of green (vegetable-like?) goo until her (I think) face was completely covered and then, drops locusts down on her to feed on her face? I think that maybe this series of movies started the genre of horror movies where the villian dies, but doesn't stay dead! But, I digress...

NCTBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: