Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNA Job application
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will attend the TESOL-Arabia conference and job fair in Dubai. Does CNA-Q have a presence there or do they prefer direct hires only from the main NL campus? We are in Taiwan.

Has the 'toxic atmosphere' improved at the Doha campus? The negative exposure of cronyism was exposed last year. Thanx to some posters for the links. Hopefully, that has had a positive effect on the Doha campus.

I'm ready to send in an application again. Has anyone applied for a 2nd time and got hired?

Regards,
mytrunkshow
Big Baby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the atmosphere is far from "toxic", this is a very disorganized and unprofessionally run place. In fact, they seem more chaotic than many locally-managed places. The nepotism has not been completely stopped, HR is overworked, often unhelpful, and sometimes hostile and bullish as they follow their sponsor's wishes exactly (e.g. no members of the opposite sex are allowed to stay at your apartment under any circumstances-the Canadian head of HR has made it clear it is his business to check these things!!!). Additionally, we are quasi-prisoners in Qatar as all employees need an exit permit to leave the country for any length of time (usually requires a few days to obtain; some companies provide multiple-exit visas but CNAQ does not; BTW, you need your Canadian dean�s permission to request and get one).

On the positive side, a new president has been hired in NL, and she seems to be shaking things up a bit. This has already resulted in a few positive changes-mostly by acknowledging and attempting to correct mistakes that were simply ignored for years (lack of support for non-residence applications, opening a discussion on end-of-service gratuities-a legal obligation in Qatar not fulfilled by the college up to now, non-payment of perdiems to non-residents despite getting the money for it from the Qatari government for all employees, etc.)

If you interview this year, ask them which payscale you would be put on. There are two: vocational and academic. Placement on these is totally illogical as only the NL-based HR people fully understand its implementations. It is a lot better to be put on the academic scale, but don't be surprised if you don't qualify even if you hold a Master's or PHD degree(s)!

That's about it in a nutshell. IMHO, if you need the money, come on over, but be prepared to be very frustrated on many fronts. If you don't, and value your overall sanity and sense of professionalism, stay away or wait to see if things improve down the road.

If you have any questions, send me a message.
lukey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: cnaq Reply with quote

Agree with previous poster - stay away from this place unless you are desperate for the money - there are a lot better places to work and and there are a lot better places to live and work than in Qatar. Inept leadership - you will just be frustrated working for this so called "world class" college. The place has been operating for almost 6 years now and things haven't improved, in fact are probably worse so why would anyone think things will improve down the road?
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when money talks, the truth is silent.

So....
Pay me enough and I'll shut up about all the crap about.

I flew over from Taiwan to attend TESOL-Arabia.

I have interviews today for Booz Allen, CfBt, and Appied Inst. of Technology. These interviews are for schools in the UAE. CNAQ recruiters are on lunch so I'm not sure if my application has been sitting on someone's desk or it has been screened and thrown in the shredder.

As I sit here, awaiting another interview, I am pondering how such an event can change a life. Another apartment, city, country, culture, people and environment.

Regards,
Gary
nowasta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again one could always look into several places in the UAE such as UAEU and ECAE and enjoy a much better quality of life. ECAE currently is offering approx. 15-18,500 dirhams with a 25% raise in April and UAEU is offering 16-17,000 dirhams with a 40% raise in April. Who needs Qatar anymore...
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Money talks Reply with quote

Given the CNA-Q salary, most teachers put up with anything. They just grin and bear it...as long as they can hang onto their jobs.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, CNAQ is a thing of the past for me...for now.

I've accepted an offer in KSA at the University of Hail. Hopefully, the issues will be ironed out by 2010 in Qatar!

Or.....I might just not like the ME and might have to return to the Orient. Smile

Hope things improve at CNAQ for the ones who are there.

Regards,
mytrunkshow
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear Hail may not be the best choice to give you the definitive ME experience. It would be nothing like Qatar or Dubai or Oman...

... just saying... Laughing

VS
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gathered as much that Hail is not the first choice of many (most?). A few have gone to great lengths to berate the place on this forum.

For me, as long as I can find a few co-workers who are not so serious and like to banter with subtleties and nuance, I'll be happy. If not, then I'll do my work and finish my MA with USQ and then move on. I am not a serious person and I am truly, deep-down easygoing.

I believe that a daily routine is most important to one's life. I like working as I find meaning in it, even though it may be less than desirable. I am very easy to chat with in person....much better than I come across on a forum.

I doubt what awaits me is more challenging than what I have here...both socially and workwise. I've done kids for 7 years and I'm done with them. This year, I have several learners with known and/or undiagnosed disabilities/issues of one form or other in my class. I think somehow my class would make it into the Guinness Book of Records. 6 out of 14 students are mild to severely incapable of following a thought. All 6 of them are lacking cognitive academic learning proficiency. Three of them have behavior issues: one can't sit in his chair, the other is defiant(and unaware that he is) and the other is a mess (but improving). But somehow, we manage to laugh each day in class and do it again the next day while teaching them subj/verb agreement. I'll really need to massage the grades for this semester as all need to pass. But I don't mind. It's the culture I live in. I didn't create it and I'm not interested in changing it.

If I can find my niche in Hail, I should be OK.

My MA is not yet completed so I feel fortunate to have been hired. I enjoy desert weather. The Hail interviewers, who were American, British and another regionally born bloke were pretty darn nice people in my books. (I know....can't judge a book...)

In 2004, I lived as the only white person in a black university community in South Africa. There were fights, threats and everyday tension where I lived. Two Dutch men came and lasted 2 days. One Chinese man came and moved back to China that week. I was the only foreign person who lasted the year. I'm sure the ME is a cake walk compared to living where I lived. It was really hard with people hiding in the bushes, taking things through my window and general dis-ease.

Whatever awaits me at Hail, it will be OK. As long as I am safe and not under threat or harm, it'll be ok. It may not be Dubai, but that may be a good thing for this period in my hopefully quiet life in Hail.

Regards,
mytrunkshow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: