Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SARS in Asia, should I be scared?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theo Holloway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: SARS in Asia, should I be scared? Reply with quote

I am currently working on obtaining my CELTA here in the US and I will be finished by the end of July. I was thinking about trying to teach in China or Japan, but after a visit to the doctor today, where he asked me about my upcoming plans, he let me know that he STRONGLY advised that I stay far away from Asia, at least until they know more about the disease. I was wondering if anyone teaching in Asia had any interactions, fears, or other thoughts on the disease. Is SARS something that should make me reevaluate my plans and look more closely at South America or Eastern Europe? Thanks.
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obey your doctor as he gave you sound advice!
The disease may have originated in Guangdong, Southern China, or in Vietnam - who knows?
The HK authorities are the only ones that have reacted more or less appropriately - quarantining over 1000 people, subjecting travellers with suspicious coughs to medical examinations and keeping schools closed!
The SARS has a name that rings unflatteringly in the ears of Hongkongers - their region is officially called "the SAR (Special Autonomous Region) of HK", so they have been pushing for a different name.
The other name currently in use is "atypical pneumonia".
Close to twenty people have died so far, and worldwide, 1500 people have been recorded as having contracted the condition.
Major places of transmission: Ontario, Canada, Singapore, isolated cases in Europe!
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the post on SARS in the Japan section. So far, so good.
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Be Careful.Wherever You Are... Reply with quote

There was a news report on the Net today that an airplane from Hong Kong had been quarantined in San Jose, California because it was suspected some passengers were carrying this virus.It has also been reported in Slovenia and Germany among other places,although most cases so far have been in Asia.Four people in Canada have died from it.
No matter where you may be,it behooves you to keep a close eye on the latest news...this is especially true for people like teachers who could possibly contract it from students,etc.
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would agree with Roger about staying away now...by July things should have cleared up. When July comes around ask your doctor again and I doubt he will give the same answer.
Celeste

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading the Vancouver Sun Newspaper online, and apparently they are going to start doing quarantine screening at the Vancouver international airport on ALL flights originating from Asia, including Japan. Sounds like the authorities are taking this one quite seriously.
Paul G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The U.S. consulate in Hong Kong said nonessential U.S. government workers and family members worried about SARS can leave the consulates in Hong Kong and Guangzhou and fly home.
CNN

Another news article I read said that they were actually evacuating all nonessential embassy personnel and flying them home.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has everyone read The Stand by Stephen King?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Shonai Benear ,
I did, many years ago. Haven't read the " revised edition ", though. But that book predated even AIDS, which was identified with King's " virus " when that particular scourge appeared. Besides, SARs ( and doesn't the name seem a little redundant - Serious Acute? ) doesn't kill most of its victims.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Stephen King Reply with quote

This may be a surprise to some of his fans, but not everyone has read every novel by Stephen King. Nor do I intend to !
Paul G

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

In medical terminology "acute" means sudden. Wink
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Acute -and I was obtuse Reply with quote

Dear Paul G,
Aha - so it's not redundant. Thanks, I'd never known that. But then there's a lot of medical terminology I'm ignorant of ( and, with any luck, will remain so ). In that case, ignorance probably does mean bliss, or at least, good health. But scot47, don't dismiss Mr. King ( an ex-English teacher by the way ) so abruptly ( or maybe I should say " acutely " ). I certainly haven't read all of his books, and some of them do seem a bit, well, redundant. But " The Stand " was, I think, quite well-done and a few of his works, not in the " horror genre ", such as " Dolores Claiborne " and " Rose Madder " ( well, there IS a little of the " supernatural in that one ) are very well written, with interestingly developed characters.
Regards,
John
Afra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: SARS information Reply with quote

http://www.who.int/csr/sars/sarsfaq/en/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: