Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big clothes in HK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Big clothes in HK Reply with quote

Hola!

I am a large American who lives in Mainland China and would like ti inquire if there is anyplace to buy large clothing in HK, and where these places are. Any help would be appreciated.

SENOR
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senor...

how large...i am about 6'3" and 250 lbs...the only clothes i find are out at stanley market....a lot of grey market...seconds and fakes...but big enough to fit

if you are a little smaller...then the marks and spenser have clothes that just fit me...so if they don't shrink one iota then i can wear them...

a lot of people on the large size get tailored made things across the border...if you are looking for work clothes this might be a good choice...
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley market is a tourist trap! I hesitate to take friends there!
I suggest the various brand-name shops in Tsimshatsui or in Central. Of course, youwill have the problem of where to choose to buy, and at what price.

A good alternative for me is SOGO in Causeway Bay. SOGO is a Japanese department store, and it stocks just about anything that Westerners crave.
On the top floor they regularly hold special sales, sometimes of clothing, at good prices!
In general though, prices at SOGO are upmarket, but you do manage to buy quality products at affordable prices. And probably all sizes because it is a major expats' shopping destination!
Hennessy Road, on the left side as you head east, tramway to North Point or Shaukeiwan or Causeway Bay! Bus 5b from Central.
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger...

you say that SOGO will probably have all sizes....which of course means that you haven't been there...so you don't know...

it is hard to get big size clothing in Canada...try finding XXL shirts there...some stores do but most don't...and in HK is doubly hard for tall large men to find clothing...as even if you find something to get around that waist...then the inseam is only 31"...find a shirt with a big neck...but get really short sleeves....

i am a big man living in hk...and it is really hard to find clothes that fit...tourist trap or not...stanley has them....2X or 3X...and they are not expensive....
once again

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sogo is not and has never been a place for expats to shop in Hk. Most people go to Marks and Spencers or Stanley market. It is not a rip off place, far from it.
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Scott, I don't know about the availability of "all sizes" at SOGO, but I do know SOGO fairly well, having lived in Causeway Bay for two years and shopping htere every week. If it is not for expats, who is shopping there? Ah, yes, thousands of well-to-do HK natives, true! Of course, there are way many more HK natives than there are expats. Still, SOGO targets the upper-middle classes, not the down-and-outs, thus it may have clothes of the size that are not commonly found. I apologise if my belief is going to be borne out as wrong - I would simply expect big-sizes there.
Maybe Stanley Market is alright too - don't know. Every time I went there I saw those HK T-shirts with "I survived Hong Kong" logos in the normal range of sizes. What else they have there - apart from paintings made specifically for Stanley Market, and trinkets and baubles - I don't really know. It might be useful to check it out as it might be useful to check out SOGO.
And Marks and Spencer, perhaps too!
Kurochan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Big clothes and shoes Reply with quote

Probably, your best bet would just be to get them made. Mainland tailors aren't too experienced in making big clothes, but here are two things you can do -- one, get a friend to recommend a really good tailor, and make sure he or she measures your thoroughly, or, two, buy a couple things that fit really well in the stores mentioned in Hong Kong, and take them home, and have a local tailor copy them. That way you get more clothing for less money. Getting stuff made in HK is sort of a rip-off, because it is actually made in Shenzhen anyway, and then prices are inflated.

I think shoes are harder than clothes. However, if you look around, you may well be able to find someone where you live to make them for you. Somebody in Shenzhen quoted a price of 400 RMB for a handmade pair of leather shoes for me. I didn't get them made because I can find good shoes here for lower prices (although it does take some effort to find my size).

Or, if all else fails, there's the untactfully-named store "Fat People's Shop" (sign in English!) in the Futien district in Shenzhen! Smile It's down the road from the restaurant called "The Indian Kitchen," and pretty close to the Shenzhen Foreign Language School. Actually, I haven't been there for a while, so I don't know if it's still open, because I doubt it would have much of a market. Most of the clothing would be like 4x or something, really, really big. It's probably all too big for you.
hagakuri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: SOGO clothes Reply with quote

Hello,

SOGO is a Japanese based store and being so maintains their marketing principles regardless of their geographic location. This means that their demographic market are Asians in the upper class categories yes. But their suppliers remain the same. The brands that they have, and the sizes that the have are no different in Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, or any other of their locations. The only difference is generally their prices.

Their suppliers supply for Asia and the stereotypical Asian bodyframe. You will not find fitted long sleeve shirts with a sleeve length of more than 34-35inches, nor will you find pants with an inseam of more than 33-34inches. I am not a large man, but I am tall about 6`4 and I have never been able to find clothes at SOGO. With the exception of socks and shorts, and short sleeve shirts. Shoes are also diffucult to find if you have over a size 10. I do have to add that on rare occassion you may be able to find unhemmed pants that give you a bit more length to have hemmed.

Many shop on the Internet and have delivered. Lands End, carries large sizes and ships internationally. There are many other too... just do a quick search.

Good luck.. and goto sogo for your neckties and socks.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley still have all sorts of XXXXl sizes.....it's a good place to go for clothes shopping to be honest. Nothing with a brand, but cheap and not bad quality nonetheless...
GreatApe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some useful shopping info.

Thanks for posting, guys!

I plan to check it out next time I'm in H.K.

--GA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: