Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: ********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Lingua.ru Reply with quote

Hi Kent-it's always good to get new leads,but I think this school is either run by,or a sub-branch of B.K.C. and no doubt offers the usual crummy conditions-i.e. around 500 bucks salary,shared flat etc.As I said before,anything under 1500 in Moscow is just not a decent salary nowadays and even Russian companies are offering middle-range salaries for various jobs of around 800 and upwards.I know quite a few people who earn much more than that,and a friend of mine who was there last week from Cyprus told me that there is an incredible economic and building boom there at the moment,no doubt based on oil revenues!
My argument is why go there and suffer the stress,pollution and climate etc. and not get paid decently for it-there's nothing worse than seeing other people around you having a good time and you can't join in be cause you are being exploited and taken for a ride by some employer who is probably making a small fortune from what they are charging your students!I don't blame you for living in Samara because underneath all the glitter,Moscow is a mean,vicious and even dangerous place where you have to be selfish and tough to survive-I'm neither of those things,I hope and franklu don't ever wish to become that way!
More about Samara another day-I hear the girls are lovely there,but unfortunately not very available!

Cheers for now!

Martin.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: better than nothing? Reply with quote

Hi Martin Cool

Please remember this: My sole purpose in posting all these links here is to give people as many options as possible. With very few regular posters on this forum, I'm just doing what I can to help.

I am most certainly NOT endorsing or recommending any of these schools personally.

And don't forget: there are probably a few young college grads out there too, as well as inexperienced teachers, or newly qualified teachers ... who might be very willing and happy to accept one of those standard $500 per month 'deals' being offered by some of these places, right?

Martin: I'm not trying to be negative here, but ... please forget that $1500 salary-dream. If that's what you're holding out for, you're wasting your time, at least as far as the world of EFL in Russia is concerned.

I'm quite sure that there isn't a SINGLE language school in Russia offering that kind of money today, with the possible exception of the few bona-fide international schools, and they want to see some serious qualifications, teaching credentials and loads of relevant experience, an MA, publications, etc. I hate to be the one to rain on your parade, but that's the real deal. Embarassed

Of course, there's bigger money to be made in other fields; I won't argue that. But to even suggest $1500 per month on an EFL forum for Russia, even in Moscow, is just ... wishful thinking.

Hmmmm. Samara girls? Well, they do play "hard-to-get", but no more than other places, I think. As a devout, born-again bachelor, I'll defer on that topic to the younger lads. Laughing

Take Care Martin,
keNt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: