Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreigner's Perspective on Canada and the US
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a brutal winter and still not over yet. Montreal is still a very safe city if you don't slip and fall, but getting more expensive by the day. I'll be paying for medical insurance on my taxes this year, but have yet to find a doctor accepting new patients, irony of this supposedly universal healthcare system.

From the papers (well, the internet, anyway) the US from here looks like it is in dire shape. Everyone is getting shot in the head as they cross an intersection as the removers take all the posessions out of their foreclosed houses (today's Tucson Citizen). I'm still getting tons of emails about ESL jobs in public schools all over the US, even though I read calls for massive round ups and deportations of immigrants. I meet a lot of people here who used to live in the US but had too many visa problems and got tired of it. What is going on over there?
Vanica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ls650 wrote:
My apologies for causing you upset, Vanica; I was only curious as to why you stay in North America.

I just reread your posts and see what you are saying in a different way now. My apologies, too.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: No news is good news Reply with quote

Dear Vanica,
It's funny how one's impressions of a place, garnered from a distance, usually from the media, can often seem so different than the ones a person
right there has.
That's something I experienced during almost every holiday from Saudi Arabia.
I'd be back here in the USA, watching the news, and so many times, from what I saw on TV, I'd start thinking that I'd be crazy to go back to the Middle East. Mama mia - it appeared that everyone had a gun or two and was looking for an American to shoot.
Then, back I'd go and - lo and behold - it was the same as ever.
I guess the moral is - what you read in the papers or see on TV or on the Net is always the exception, not the rule. Bad news sells; good news doesn't.
Sure, there is some bad stuff going on (isn't there always?), but for most of the population, it's usually a case of same old, same old.
Regards,
John
Vanica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Johnslat. The press can be very slanted. Need more sources like you and Dave's for information. Very Happy
Johnny_C_NYC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: No news is good news Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Vanica,
It's funny how one's impressions of a place, garnered from a distance, usually from the media, can often seem so different than the ones a person
right there has.
That's something I experienced during almost every holiday from Saudi Arabia.
I'd be back here in the USA, watching the news, and so many times, from what I saw on TV, I'd start thinking that I'd be crazy to go back to the Middle East. Mama mia - it appeared that everyone had a gun or two and was looking for an American to shoot.
Then, back I'd go and - lo and behold - it was the same as ever.
I guess the moral is - what you read in the papers or see on TV or on the Net is always the exception, not the rule. Bad news sells; good news doesn't.
Sure, there is some bad stuff going on (isn't there always?), but for most of the population, it's usually a case of same old, same old.
Regards,
John

Agree with johnslat on just about everything including the real issues with illegal immigration and Islamofascism. The former has become so out of control in the US (as opposed to Canada, where illegals are usually carefully picked out and it is not a family-based system - also there are nowhere near the number of illegals (indeed the number of illegals in the US is estimated to be almost half the population of Canada)) while the latter is still pretty much treated with kid-gloves in the Western Press. In general many of these Islamic immigrants have no desire to assimilate and indeed seek to institure Sharia law in many places so they can live as they always have. Basically it is incompatible with Western Judeo-Christian morals and values, but governments kowtow to it - I think mostly due to their PC nature. See this link for more info (FYI, took years for the left-ish press to even report this Smile.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/19/nsharia19.xml

Also keep in mind that what people generally tell pollers is usually a bit toned down, so the situation is most likely worse than what the story details.

This isn't news - it's been around for decades, but now is finally coming to a head as the huge Muslim masses in Europe start flexing their voting power.

RE the press and the skewed vision of the world they show well I just got back from Brazil and if you read all the news you would think that you were getting Dengue Fever the minute you stepped off the plane and that some guy would rob you the minute you turned your back! As always you need to take necessary precautions in developing nations like Brazil, but my experience there was far from (oh and by the way every day they were deporting Paraguayans from what I saw/read I don't think they have any immigrants there).
Vanica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you call Eastern Europeans in NYC 'illegals,' too, or is this term only reserved for Mexicans or Central Americans?

Our greatest pleasure in North Carolina was getting to know people from Mexico and El Salvador. Our most horrible experience was having an 'American' accuse my four year-old daughter of spitting and yelling at her to 'speak English.'

Please explain why you Americans and Canadians can bounce around the world as it suits you, but the rest of us are humiliated, imprisoned, exploited and insulted when we are forcibly displaced.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, North Americans can't really bounce around the world as they wish, except as tourists. I'm constantly disappointing North Americans who want to 'move to Spain to teach English,' for example... The EU hiring laws have, in fact, burst quite a few naive bubbles, I can assure you.

And those Eastern Europeans in NYC largely have some kind of legal paperwork allowing them to be in the States to begin with. The assumption regarding Mexicans and Central Americans is that they avoided the borders. Which, I suppose, is factually INcorrect in the majority of cases, though I haven't got the statistics.

Anyway, as half of a Czech/American marraige, where we have lived together in five different countries, I can say that we have had to jump through so many legal hoops to get where we wanted to be that we have come to have little patience for those people who skirt the immigration laws, giving all immigrants a bad name...

I reckon, Vanica, that you've gone through the legal hoops as well, and perhaps you know what I mean about feeling angry at those who bend or break the laws...
Vanica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your assumption is incorrect about Eastern Europeans in NYC. Many Poles were recruited by agencies to clean asbestos; no info, no masks, no papers, no disability, no recourse, young people with mesothelioma.

I have not even one iota of bad feeling towards those who supposedly did not go through legal barriers. Don't you realise how much easier that would have been, to have done paperwork instead of hiding in a container on a ship, crammed into a suffocating bus, walking across the mountains or deserts? Don't you think we would have done that if given the choice? Don't you think some of us assumed our recruiters had done that?

It's funny how this anti-immigrant sentiment is coming out amongst the Americans when the numbers of immigrants are dropping off dramatically. The US is not the place anymore except for the most desperate. I am thinking to go the US now because it is the new third world, full of big abandoned mansions, no work, an uneducated populace, a cheaper place to live.