Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

?? Shared Housing ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent,

I don't think most eikaiwas even care about getting quality teachers who are older. They are looking at what (in their minds) attracts students. Since housewives seem to make up the largest portion of their enrollment, I suspect that is the reason they tend to hire the younger males. Inexperienced, naive people are also easier to fool with some of the less than legitimate things that some do. Thank goodness, it is nothing like Korea!

I'm not sure what the number or percentage is of older, experienced teachers out there. I know plenty that can't teach their way out of paper bags, and I know of some younger ones that are definitely good! This is sort of like the argument about backpackers/untrained teachers vs. those with specific training in education.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thread...

No, I would never accept an efl job that offered shared housing. It's always a money issue, I guess. In areas where real estate is expensive, shared housing represents signifigant savings for the employer. I couldn't imagine or tolerate roomate friction in a foreign country, though. My home is my refuge, my escape from everything that bothers me about the place I'm living. I absolutely need it sometimes. If I really liked an offer, but they insisted on shared housing, I would request a housing subsidy in lieu of the housing and rent my own place if at all possible (it's sadly not possible everywhere -- Some places charge "key money").
Selyer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Okay you TEFL veterans, advise me. Reply with quote

This is a most interesting thread and I so agree with what's been posted: my home is my refuge; it needs to be a place where I can relax and recharge and renew myself. I don't want to share it at all, let alone share it with someone not of my own choosing. But is it really feasible for me to make "shared vs. private accomodation" a deciding factor in whether or not to consider a job? Question

Here's my deal...I've got 9 years experience teaching bilingual and SEI classes in the Arizona public school system; BA in Elementary Education; MA in Bilngual/Multicultural Education; CELTA-Pass B certificate. I'd like to relocate to Europe for the start of my TEFL career. Of course, I'm American so my hands are a bit tied as to where I can work legally. Thus I'm looking into the possibilities of Czech Republic, Poland, maybe Russia, etc. But pretty much all of the job postings I come across have "shared accomodation." I'll be on leave from my current job as of the end of May and without incoming paychecks as of mid-August. Can I really "afford" to give so much weight to shared accomodation in my current job hunt as I try to get my foot in the TEFL door somewhere overseas? Or do I pick a country and just show up going door to door until I find a school that pays enough to live on AND gives me private accomodation? Confused

Hope you guys can help me! Smile
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Welcome aboard the shared-housing train! Reply with quote

Greetings Selyer and TaoyuanSteve Cool

Thank you for your comments. I think TaoyuanSteve brought up an excellent point. **If** you find employment with a school offering shared accommodation, you can always request a subsidy and go look for a private place on your own. Many people do it. The subsidy you get may not cover the entire cost of the flat you choose, but it's still probably better in the long run than getting into a shared arrangement, which might or might not work out.

Selyer: You mentioned eastern Europe in your reply. Thankfully, this is one area of the world where housing is still relatively cheap and abundant.

I'll give you a 'for instance': Here in Samara, a provincial city of Russia with a population of 1.5 million, my school provides me with a very nice, fully-furnished apartment with a large kitchen and balcony ... for exactly $150 per month. Of course, you'll pay more in bigger cities, but you get the drift.

fyi: In my experience, most decent and reputable schools in eastern Europe either provide A) a private apartment, or B) assistance in finding your own place. And ... this is one very good area that should definitely be negotiated within the context of your contract ... before you sign your life away.

What I'm trying to say is this: Don't be shy about raising the topic. It is important. The fact that I truly enjoy my 'digs' is one of the main factors I considered before recently agreeing to renew my current contract in Russia for a third year.

Warm regards,
keNt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: