Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

decent CELTA course?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lou_la

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like another poster, I found it much cheaper to leave the UK to do my CELTA. It was cheaper for everything here in Hungary, than even just the course in the UK. IH Budapest has a large teacher trainer department, runs a CELTA every month, and has a high reputation too. That, and it's a brilliant city!
BELS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it cheaper than �900 ? Is it cheaper than doing it locally close to your own home.

My issue is that I think CELTA and TRINITY should be subsidised like many other courses in the UK. It's easier for me to get an early childhood teaching degree than it is a CELTA. TEFL should be subsidised.
Phil_b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is that most people who study for the CELTA go abroad - contributing more to other countries than to the UK... There is very little public funding for EFL within the UK education system and CELTA has very low "official" recognition within the UK public sector.

If on the other hand you were to study a more widely (in the UK) qualification such as the DTTLS(ESOL) or PGCE(PCET) you would probably be able to get it subsidised by your Local Education Authority or possibly your employer

More details here: http://www.talent.ac.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=751 and http://www.talent.ac.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=1880
BELS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_b wrote:
The fact is that most people who study for the CELTA go abroad - contributing more to other countries than to the UK... There is very little public funding for EFL within the UK education system and CELTA has very low "official" recognition within the UK public sector.

If on the other hand you were to study a more widely (in the UK) qualification such as the DTTLS(ESOL) or PGCE(PCET) you would probably be able to get it subsidised by your Local Education Authority or possibly your employer

More details here: http://www.talent.ac.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=751 and http://www.talent.ac.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=1880

I don't know what you are talking about DTTL I have never heard nor has any employer in the UK asked for it. PGCE, yes for teachers who qualified to teach the National curriculum in all state and public schools in the Uk to native speaking children.

However even with a PGCE and although highly respected they do need the training to teach TEFL, which is CELTA or Trinity. They love the DELTA, and all due respects to those who get it. I highly respect tose people who get it, but for a company to offer about 60p an hour above CELTA, such as English First did, they must feel highly insulted.

To summarise PGCE's still need CELTA/Trinity in the view of employers and new current regulations from our government. They need the skill of teaching English as a foreign language, not teaching to those who are teaching native English!

You must look at what employers are demanding, they ay are demanding these qualifications because the associations of which our government states they must join, such as the British council, and the nglish Blah Blah ( I can't remember the name, but a new subsiduary formed by our goverment recently. The employers have no choice in this matter, they must have CELTA/ Trinity or equivelent. And it''s difficult to prove this equivelent.

Here you are, here is 183 employers seeking teachers, as I sad bfore it by far the highest demand for teachers in the whole world

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/results.html?searchOpts%5Bage%5D=&searchOpts%5Bcou_id%5D=223&searchOpts%5BtitleKeywords%5D=&searchOpts%5Bjo_category%5D=0&searchOpts%5Bec_id%5D=0&x=22&y=10

[/url]
Phil_b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTLLS (Diploma in Teaching in the Life Long Learning sector) is the replacement for the CertEd is now (at least theoretically) compulsory for those who wish to teach in UK colleges (along with the PGCE(PCET) and CertEd for those who qualified pre-2007).

Basically I don't think that the government is that bothered with the private sector EFL schools.
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the replacement for the C&G4707 (ISTR?). I did the part 1 for the latter which was paid for by the college where I was working at the time. Didn't do part 2 due to changes in circumstances, but when I go back to the UK in a few years I'm assuming I'll need the new qualification to teach in the FE sector? Not sure I could stand the paperwork, though.
Phil_b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Talent.ac.uk website - they've also got an advice line to call - there are provisions for APL (acrediting prior learning) likewise for recognising overseas or schools qualifications - but what that would be like in practice, I don't know. If you had all the C&G certs it'd be fine, but I'm not sure how it'll work if you've only got one.

Of course what the rules say and what colleges end up accepting could well be very different Wink.
BELS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil_b , wheres the thank button, I'll be back when I check this up, and do a bit of googling. I think you're right, and I think need something like this on my return to settle in UK with my family. Maybe not, as I'm not sure yet, an early childhood degree (teaching) could be enough for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: