Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Data Center
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgrossbl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: American Data Center Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of the American Data Center based in Nasr city?
I have been offered a position with them- they were incredibly eager to hire and said I didn't even need a teaching certificate.
In terms of salary, they are offering 2000LE/month + accommodation. Is this about how much I should expect without experience? Can one live on just that amount of income?
lall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: American Data Center Reply with quote

sgrossbl wrote:
Has anyone heard of the American Data Center based in Nasr city?
I have been offered a position with them- they were incredibly eager to hire and said I didn't even need a teaching certificate.
In terms of salary, they are offering 2000LE/month + accommodation. Is this about how much I should expect without experience? Can one live on just that amount of income?

Just asking, sgrossbl. Is there a zero missing in that 2,000 Egyptian Pounds that you wrote about?
If it's not, then I'm afraid it's way too insufficient to live on that, accom. or no accom.
Hope this helps.
egyptfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 LE a month is way too low for a native speaker. The British Council pays about 60 - 70 LE an hour for part-time work. That amount (2000) would be correct if you were teaching about 30-35 hours per month, though I suspect it's probably nearer to 30 a week! (if accommodation supplied).
My advice would be to avoid but then it depends on how badly you need the work.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too low, but pretty normal for language academies in Egypt. If you're hoping to earn more w/o a teaching qualification you might consider a k-12 position in one of the language schools. You would be looking at a salary anywhere between 3500-7500 LE plus accommodation, airfare, etc.
sgrossbl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was in fact two-thousand, I wish I was missing a zero.
Thank you all for the insight.
Is it worth negotiating over? Is this done for teaching jobs in Egypt?

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Egypt, anything is possible, but I wouldn't consider any teaching job as a native speaker for less than double that salary... and it isn't likely they'd agree to that.

VS
amainegypt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: American Data Center Reply with quote

Hey, they also offered me a position, but here are details you didn't include in case anyone has more info:

up to 1000 le for furnished 1br apt- not shared
2000 le/month 6-8 hours/day 6 days/week
they tell you no tax, but the contract reads 10 percent tax
all materials provided

I too think this is way to little ~$378 per month, which will not allow you travel outside of Egypt. In speaking to them, they advised that some teachers are paid 5000le/month, with experience. They also advise the 2000 per month is the starting rate, but even with certs and exp. they are hesitant to increase the salary.

I don't understand, but I really want to go, and I need the work while traveling- to, the exp would be helpful. Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: American Data Center Reply with quote

amainegypt wrote:

up to 1000 le for furnished 1br apt- not shared
2000 le/month 6-8 hours/day 6 days/week
they tell you no tax, but the contract reads 10 percent tax

I too think this is way to little ~$378 per month, which will not allow you travel outside of Egypt. In speaking to them, they advised that some teachers are paid 5000le/month, with experience. They also advise the 2000 per month is the starting rate, but even with certs and exp. they are hesitant to increase the salary.

Of course not... but for a native speaker, this is slave wages for slave hours.

Just to give you a comparison, my last furnished one-bedroom flat in 2001 was 2000 LE a month. Granted it was in one of the more expensive neighborhoods, but inflation has been very high there, so I can't imagine what kind of a place one would have to live in for 1000 LE now - although theoretically it should be cheaper out in Nasr city. (think filthy ancient furniture and hot and cold running roaches, no air conditioning.) It would be helpful if a foreigner who had ever lived out there could give us rental rates in the area.

That salary would only barely allow you to travel in Egypt... to and from your flat to work.

Do you have any credentials at all? You might want to look at Sakkara School in Ma'adi which seems to be hiring quite often.

VS
amainegypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: American Data Center Reply with quote

Hi,

I have teaching and ESL experience, my BA of course, in English. I have the TEFL cert from Oxford Seminars and state teaching cert. Other than an MA, what more do I need for a few xtra dollars. If I didn't mention b4, they claim the 2000 pkg is just to start, then as experience and certs go they will pay more. I haven't seen it ... sho me da money.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a US state teaching certificate? current?

The salary that you are being offered is for a backpacker without even a BA... whose only credential is being a native speaker. The absolute minimum you should accept from them is the 5000... and I noticed on the other thread that you said that they are providing you with a furnished flat... whereas here you said a 1000 LE to get a flat yourself. (that is a big difference)

5000 + free furnished flat - your absolute minimum... (plus when I was working in Egypt, the employer paid the taxes and they were not deducted from my pay)

But, even so... it is way too many hours. A certified teacher should be able to teach at an international school and do normal teaching hours - 5 days a week.

Another thing... be sure that they provide you with a proper working visa. Many places like this will tell you that you can work with a tourist visa. That is a complete lie... you will be working illegally and lose all the benefits of having the proper visa (like highly reduced tickets on flights out)

VS
amainegypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: American Data Center Reply with quote

Wow!

So much helpful info VS, thanks.

Okay, the cert is current and from the US. The schedule in contract does say 6-8 hrs, and 6 days/wk. I noticed classes are form 5-10p or 4-10p (don't remember). Because of this low wage and I am traveling, I decided not to accept the contract and work part-time only. However, I was told the part-time package is the same as FT but no R/T ticket. I think I am being offered as though I were in Egypt, but then again, the other thread did say they were offered the same salary...

On the flat issue, that's not my fault lol. Wink They say they will provide accommodations (one BR apt), but the contract reads accommodations provided up to 1000LE per month and provided a selection of accommodations.

Also teaching hrs in contract are 5hrs/day, paid for working 144/mo, teaching O/T (over 36hrs) is 25LE/hr. On their site I noticed classes are offered 5dys/wk. I should include there are free Arabic lessons- everyday Arabic environment - which I will take full advantage.

I don't remember the type of visa. Is this done only at the airport? They provide 100LE each for food during working hours, and medical. I do agree -5000LE plus furnished flat is the minimum acceptable offer. Is it 'cause I'm a woman! Confused
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told that Egypt Air no longer charges more to the tourists visa holders on their domestic flights, but I can't confirm that. The hotel stays, however, are SO much cheaper w/ the residency, as are entrance fees into all of Egypt's tourist tourist attractions.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be MM... I was hoping that you would be able to pass through and correct any misinformation I might be passing along. Laughing

amainegypt... let us know if you can manage to talk these people up. Since they appear to be a language school and not a K-12 school, they may not care about your cert. But it should get you into something better in Egypt. (Right MM?)

Only tourist visas are done at the airport. The employer has to do all the work to get you the proper work visa once you are in country.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice from VS is spot-on.

@amainegypt: So you're already in Egypt? That salary is just way too low. I wouldn't even take the job. I suspect you'll find that some "ok" k-12 institutions will need a last-minute hire. At least you'd be able to earn a living wage, and then apply to the best schools over the course of the year. The six days/week thing? I would run the other way.
amainegypt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: American Data Center Reply with quote

Hey MM and VS,

I am not in Egypt, but I told the school- at some point in the convo- that I'd like to travel and visit the country- big mistake hmm?

I am negotiating (up) the agreement with them, so they seem to be coming around a bit. Thank you again VS, and others who strongly affirmed this wage is too low. I confirmed the visa is a tourist visa- unfortunately. However, I am not committing to a one year contract- just a few months rather (?gypsy, perhaps?)- especially due to low wages.

I will definitely let you know how this turns out... I should here from them in about a week. I stressed receiving the flat w/out obligation to pay from the 2000LE salary any difference in actual cost. Fortunately, I was able to tell the school that my current Egyptian ESL student advised 1000LE would not pay for accommodations and that his flat cost around 2000LE to begin. The Language school advised me then, that flats go between 800 and 1200 LE and that they would pay the total cost. Cool Still working on the living wage though. I will try to get 5000LE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: