Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rookie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roguey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: The Rookie Reply with quote

I live in Canada and would like to work in Poland for a while, teaching English. I was born in Poland and have dual citizenship (Canadian and Polish). I also have a BA and speak Polish fluently. I am currently looking at English language schools to teach at in Poland.
Can you recommend a school to teach at that you have had experience with? Particularly around Wroclaw as I have an empty apartment there at my disposal. Would it be reasonable to ask for a higher pay if I do not take accomodation from the school as I have my own? Thank you in advance!
Wink
Roguey
Selyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Working in Wroclaw Reply with quote

If you want, specifically, to be in Wroclaw there's always IH Wroclaw which of course has a decent to good reputation. Since providing accommodation generally comes as part of the job package I should think you would be able to get some sort of remuneration, even if it's just getting the housing allowance and pocketing it. Although, I don't know...maybe that's not entirely ethical? Twisted Evil
shenyanggerry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's unethical about accepting a housing allowance? It's just another component of your salary.

To put it another way, do you or the person providing your accomodation want to subsidise the profitability of a private company?
Selyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Details, details... Reply with quote

Quote:
What's unethical about accepting a housing allowance? It's just another component of your salary.

See now, this is what comes of posting replies at 2-something in the morning! Embarassed When I made my original post I was thinking in terms of "If, for some reason, the school didn't want to cough up some extra money towards salary since they wouldn't need to provide housing--sort of a "here's your meager salary minus any compensation for the perks (ie housing) we give to other teachers" scenario--you could always request the housing allowance and pocket it since you wouldn't actually have to use it to pay rent." Which could be interpreted by some as slightly devious...and, oh, never mind! Let's face it...if that was the way a school operated, would you really want to work for them? Rolling Eyes
Frater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be simple - but there are a couple of little issues which are not immediately apparent ...
(i) if the 'school flats' are shared by two teachers and giving you cash instead of accommodation would leave a room empty in one of these
flats, the school owner may not be willing to do this deal.
(ii) if the school employs local Polish teachers of English as well as native speakers, you may find the school owner is a little sensitive about giving you cash in lieu of accommodation since he doesn't do so for them.
So this is a subject you must certainly raise BEFORE committing yourself.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: poland Reply with quote

Set yourself up privately.All the schools are greedy bug**gers so it's better to spread the risks by not being tied to one.IH pay awful wages.1600zl a month and a flat is nonsense.I was in Poznan recently and it would be hard to live on double that amount unless you were a nun/priest. Don't be fooled by that 'good local salary' rubbish.Some of the DOSs there have been around too long and have become very large fish in awfully small ponds!!The flats they provide you with are generally old and at the edge of town.
stabnkill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in teaching in Poland next year and would like to know what the salaries are at some of these schools if numbers are going around, but I don't know if I can put any stock in what Biffinbridge says since most of his other messages I've read are such hateful, misogynistic and egotistical pieces of rubbish. Can anyone confirm this 1600 figure?
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider his figures confirmed. Altho you could just about live in Poznan on 3,200PLN per month and still go out for a drink more than once a week, as long as you only have one drink each time you go out!
Selyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: IH wages Reply with quote

You can take Biffenbridge at his word on IH wages. They are, unfortunately, horribly low. You do get a WEE bit more if you've got previous teaching experience or better than a standard pass on your CELTA. It's the price you pay for the "prestige" of the IH name on your CV, etc. etc. Although I have to say, I'm currently working for IH here in Poland and can live comfortably on what I'm paid plus I've got resources up the wazoo, a great DOS and a teaching schedule I'm quite happy with. It all depends on what you're looking for I suppose. Smile
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a school in Wroclaw that pays 70pln/60 minutes (gross)--about 58.5pln net. However, you are expected to have your own flat and they don't pay anything towards it. Basically, they pay a great rate, but there are no real benefits. But it's a very good school. The requirements are basically minimum 1-2 years full-time EFL experience and native speaker. I've worked for them but down in my area of Poland.
Roguey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris. where is this school in Wroclaw that pays the 70 zloty gross per hour? I have my own apartment.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: roguey Reply with quote

The school with the good rates sounds like 'Profilingua',they're all over the place right now.As for you stabnkill...are you the new bnix?Clearly you lack any sense of irony and cannot spot large tongues in large cheeks.I don't hate women in any way.Some things about Poland are however very true,especially the things I've said about Polish women and foreign men.Just go there and you will see.As for the other ludicrous allegations...just grow up, and get out of Oman and find out for yourself like adults do.
stabnkill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you so hostile Biffinbridge? Are you like this in real life too, or is this just your internet escape? I've heard that "can't take a joke" line before and it is usually used to legitimize offensive behavior by attempting to turn the imaginary blame around on the person who points out the offensive behavior. Your telling me to get out of Oman and find out for myself LIKE AN ADULT is pretty ironic, don't you think? I read and post on this forum to get and share information. I also read your comments (not all of them) that I personally find offensive, in bad taste, or just unnecessarily mean and wonder WHY? What's the point Biffinbridge? Are you a bully in Poland? Do you insult and bully your co-workers, or are most people stunned by your humor and charm? As for the internet part, maybe we should have a poll.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Most of us find him to be fairly entertaining, if slightly unpredicable, company.

Altho with your sense of humour failure you might not agree.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: reply to stabnkill Reply with quote

Pick up 'Swan' and read about 'non-defining relative clauses'...oh please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: