Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary info for Egypt?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
egyptfan

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't worked in Egypt but visit regularly and have friends there. I'd say you'd live very comfortably on 5,000 LE a month (about 900$). Obviously, if you have family or you're going to spend most of your time in 5 star hotels and travel a lot add ???. Enjoy Egypt!
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egyptfan wrote:
I haven't worked in Egypt but visit regularly and have friends there. I'd say you'd live very comfortably on 5,000 LE a month (about 900$). Obviously, if you have family or you're going to spend most of your time in 5 star hotels and travel a lot add ???. Enjoy Egypt!

5000 w/ accommodation provided is a liveable wage. You will be able to afford some luxuries like a visit ot a nice hotel for the week (now and again). 5000 w/o accommodation if you're a westerner will be a tight squeeze. Certain flats are rented only to westerers, and just the sight of you will drive the price up. I would not say, however, that 5000 LE month is living the high life...definitely not if you have bills back home.
tek44

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the average salary in US dollars at the American University of Cairo?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Merican University in Cairo AUC Reply with quote

Tek

I got your PM, but will answer you here just in case others have the same question.

As I said in the post on the previous page, it all depends on your credentials which they analyze carefully and you even get partial credit for work outside of education (since I worked in business for 15 years prior to getting into education). So, even knowing your basic credentials, I really don't have knowledge of the complete scale.

With my MA+13 I saved between $2800-3500 per month for a semester in 2001 (3-4 month semester). I believe that this is very close to the top for an MA or was at that time. It was equivalent to the Gulf, but I found that the Gulf employers have a very flat scale so that you make more at the bottom and less at the top, if you know what I mean. So, you will probably make a bit less at AUC than you would where you are now.

But, here is a major advantage to AUC. They treat their EFL teachers like professional educators. No one is required to sit about to be at students beck and call. You set your own hours. Meetings are minimal. There is no set summer leave. You can leave when your grades are in and official - and you come back the week before classes. Thus, you can usually leave at the very end of May and come back very early September. So, you have 3+months in the summer, plus the usual Muslim holidays... AND... you have get two Christmases and two Easters since many of the students are Christian, and the Copts follow an Eastern Orthodox schedule.

It is a great place to work and live if you can take the chaos and pollution of Cairo - something that one either loves or hates. Cool

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: