Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Nizwa Short-term Teaching Salary?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuxorHouse

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: University of Nizwa Short-term Teaching Salary? Reply with quote

I've applied for a short-term position (1 year, 1 semester, or three months) teaching writing at the University of Nizwa. I've been asked by the university what my salary expectations are. They provide housing (no indication as to furnished or unfurnished) and transport to/from university.

I've read the boards regarding salary for teaching positions at this school, but I am wondering what an appropriate salary would be for short-term teaching.

I have significant experience in the fields of communication/public relations (20 years), newspaper journalism (6 years), freelance consulting (7 years, some concurrent with other employment), and teaching writing and public speaking at the university, technical college, and corporate levels (6 years, some part-time, concurrent with other employment). I have an MA in Communication, and a BS in English, writing, communication, and secondary education.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accommodation will be furnished. The salary range is from 700-950 OMR/month. I don't know that they, like most unis in the region, are going to be willing to negotiating w/in this range.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that housing is a real issue in Nizwa, so if you are on a three month (?? bizarre number... not sure of what use a 3 month teacher would be... summer school?) or one semester, you may end up in a hotel the whole time.

Thus far I haven't heard of any teachers who have managed to get an offer of 1000 or over. (but they may just be secretive... Cool)

VS
LuxorHouse

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: University of Nizwa Short-term Teaching Salary? Reply with quote

Thank you both for the immediate reply! The three-month possibility is puzzling to me as well.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS is right about the housing...I would guess that if you do go for 3 months that you'll be in a hotel for sure.
LuxorHouse

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: University of Nizwa Short-term Teaching Salary? Reply with quote

Thanks, mishmumkin!
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are they giving you a choice between contract lengths? I wonder if they'll bother w/ a proper work visa for a 3 month gig...
LuxorHouse

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: University of Nizwa Short-term Teaching Salary? Reply with quote

No, I haven't gotten that far yet, and I don't have any time frame for when these would occur. I agree, if it is for three months, they probably won't bother with a proper work visa, but I am not sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: