Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council in Bucharest: WARNING
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
worker68

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Recent changes.... Reply with quote

Teachers' pay at the British Council has been raised by 20% overall, starting in September. However, they're losing the private pension. It seems that things have got, or are getting, a bit better there though.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone currently teaching there now?
CairoMig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is really interesting as I worked there (as I mentioned in an ealier post). The problem with Bucharest is that firstly the pay hasn't gone up much in all these years and the city is more expensive, but also teachers are now locally contracted, and have to pay tax, social security, their own flats, bills, etc.

Even if the pay goes up, a third of it will go in deductions, and they will have the dubious pleasure of relying on the Romanian national health service. When I worked there I got paid half what teachers get now, but got a free huge 2 bed flat by the Ateneu, didn't pay tax or social security, got free bills, pension allowance, free private medical care and a litre of vodka cost less than a bottle of Coke. Still, some things never change, and we were worked to death running round bucharest in dodgy death-trap taxis (all there was in those days) trying to get from one sh*tty offsite class to another before going back to the "Consilul Satanic" for a(nother) CAE class.

I think if you are going to take up a job with the BC anywhere in the world you can't expect much apart from something nice on the CV. They pay lower rates consistently regardless of where you are in the world. Have a look at their rates in the Gulf and compare to other employers and you'll see that the BC is - and has never been - a "good earner".

If you want to teach in Bucharest the international schools pay more and have decent hours.
ibidthefrog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know George Cosbuc High school in Bucharest (where I have worked with SOL) tries to hire both British and American teachers and they have to register with SOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: