Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

info on finding flats in morocco
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
double agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: info on finding flats in morocco Reply with quote

hey thinking of taking a job in sept in morocco.

is there a good expat community there?
how do i find a flat.
what are the ins and outs of renting.

what should i WATCH out for in my contract.

any other advise.

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
nolefan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: look out! Reply with quote

Hi there,

I know this is a fairly old post but I will answer it for future reference in case somebody else wonders about it.

Flats in morocco are not hard to come by if you are in the bigger cities ( Casablanca, Rabat, Tabgier, Marrakesh...). The best way would be to walk around and ask the Concierges if anything is available in the area.. they usually hook you up. Try taking someone from the school with you as most of them will try to rip you off.
The newspapers (mainly LE MATIN) have an extensive classified section that is targeted to Casablanca mainly.

as far as how much rent you should pay, try not to exceed 3000 dhs/month.. that is all you need and it should get you a nice 1 or 2 rooms unfurnished flat. If you are here on a short term contract, try fndind a furnished flat; they usually cost about 5 to 6000 dhs depending on the area you're in. These prices are valid for casablanca mainly, it should be cheaper in other towns.
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Marrakech for a few years and for 3000 dirham let me tell you what I got:

The most amazing villa I have ever has the pleasure to live in:
Huge Garden with Orange,Lime and Fig Trees...oh yeah and fresh corn plants!

3 Bedroom, 4 Bathrooms, Huge Living Room(14 Metres by 6), Dining Room, Kitchen, Maid and 8 Balconies!

My time in Morocco was the best time I've ever had and as a EFL Teacher you can live very well indeed!
OzBurn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care to share a bit more about your time there? Salaries? Working conditions? Casa itself? Local attitudes to English-speakers (to Americans, if you know about that)?
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

As you can tell by my Recreate Morocco submission, I love it here more than you could imagine. How anyone could work in a complete dump like Marrakesh is beyond me. Casa is the place to be.

Take today for example. Me and Miss Hod, so easy to get the girls here, visited one of Casa's many art museums before taking a stroll in the park and feasting like kings in one of the many open air bars. Miss Hod lost her temper when my eyes strayed to the many other young ladies present. I ended up having to get a petit taxi home alone, but it's OK because the drivers all speak quite good English. All in all a fun place.
nolefan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ and I am a casablanca native (bidaoui)... I think that there are very few places in Morocco than can rival with Marrakech's charm, lifestyle and athmosphere. The folks there are more down to earth, relaxed and honest than those in casablanca will ever be. Granted that the money lies in Casablanca(I went back last year for a few months after being away for 7 years) I still can't believe how bad and jaded that city is.

just my two cents but I'd kill for a mint tea and some merguez right about now Laughing Wink
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea where Tangshan, Hebei is but it sounds like heaven compared to Casablanca. Fancy a swap?

What's merguez?
nolefan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merguez: small beef sausages that you can get just about anywhere in morocco. You cannot be in Morocco and not get addicted to those little suckers grilled, broiled, baked..... you name it, they're good.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nolefan wrote:
You cannot be in Morocco and not get addicted to those little suckers

Somehow the words Morocco and addictive don't belong in the same sentence. You cannot be in Morocco for more than a few weeks before home cooking becomes your new hobby. It's not a question of money, I'm well rich. Chips/fries with everything, and now sausages apparently, is not a viable diet. I'd like to live past 55.
Bruno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Sensational Share Accommodation Available in Safi. Reply with quote

I have two fully furnished double rooms in a great location in sunny Safi; there are two private English schools crying out for native English speakers, a great beach, magnificent ceramics, Portuguese castle and sensational fortressed medina etc. Hotels are crap, so come and stay with me. Rent negotiable.
OzBurn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds lovely. May I ask what kind of wages the local schools are paying, and what the working conditions are like?

Thanks.
Bruno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not actually working as a teacher at the moment (I am here on university funded fieldwork) but both schools wanted me and were prepared to negotiate, but I doubt if you'll get rich here. On the other hand, the cost of living is low and in a city of 500,000 there would be huge potential for private teaching.
OzBurn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no illusions about getting rich in teaching EFL, no matter where I teach! However, it would be nice to know what the approximate wage is where you are. Are we talking five USD per hour, ten, or fifteen? I have heard much different things from people about Morocco.

Thanks.
Bruno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozburn (Hey, are you an Aussie, too?); Depending on your qualifications and experience you should have no trouble getting between 120 and 150 Dirham per hour (less tax), epecially if you are well-presented. If you are interested send me your CV and I can make some enquiries on your behalf. Morocco is a fascinating country and Safi is quite safe. It is a moderate Muslim society and I have seen scantily dressed female Europeans on holiday in nearby tourist-trap Essaouira not even raising the eyebrows of their Gandoorra clad hosts. Beer can be easily purchased and I am told the new supermarket will even be stocking bacon! Speaking French is a definite advantage but I am intent on learning Arabic and not the language of Moroccos former colonisers.
Nolefun; I wored in Shijiazhuang, Hebei in 2000. Coldest winter of my life! Gotta disagree about mint tea (so much sugar) and those fatty little sausages. BBQ chicken, sardines, crusty bread rolls, salads, omelettes, tajine and cous-cous keep my belly full and my waistline under control. And there is no Maccas, Pizza Hut or KFC for 100s of kms!
OzBurn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's always good to have figures, as there are some people in the world of EFL who think they are well paid if they are making 600 USD a month, teaching 30 hours a week. They will tell you about how much that is compared to the average local salary. (Here in Vietnam, I literally make as much in ten minutes as the waiter at one of my favorite restaurants makes in a day, so local salaries are not of great interest to me as a point of comparison.)

I agree with you about the Moroccan food, based on my last visit. Delicious and I think fairly healthy, too.

Any idea what the tax rate would be? Here in Vietnam they quote the salary after tax (also the practice in Turkey).

Thanks for your help. I may take you up on the resume offer later this year, when I'm ready to push on from here.

Happy trails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: