Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help in Cajamarca!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuofe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Help in Cajamarca!!! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I�m an Aussie that�s in Uruguay at the moment and thinking of visiting Peru soon. Got some friends over there I want to visit.
I�ve finished my TESOL / TEFL diploma course with i-to-i and am teaching the teachers of an institute here in Uruguay.

Needing some help on where to work in Cajamarca and what the average wage is for a teacher.

Another quick question. What�s an IB Programme?

Thanks so much for your help!

Chau.

Yuri.
NickImpy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm naturegirl321. She is the "go to" person for Peru
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm here. www.ibo.org has all the info about IB programmes. Basically, the only good place to work at is DAvy College and you will need about eight years of experience, no kidding, to work there. www.davycollege.edu.pe, Aside from that , expect the typical wage of 5 uSd an hour. Try other cities, like Lima, Cusco, Trujillo, and Areuqipa.

Why Cajamarca?

I Pmed you, as well.
yuofe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Eight years? Reply with quote

That�s absolutely ridiculous! Eight years experience??? Who are we teaching, the president?

Anyway, I chose Cajamarca because I have friends over there. I�m going to visit them with my wife for a while.

Just looking for a part-time for a little while.

Thanks for the links!!!

I�m going to check them out now.

Thanks so much!

>Yuri
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck, cajamarca's not an easy place to make money in. try some of the other main cities.
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davy College in Cajamarca is an international school with the IB qualification. It is a highly respected international high school qualification and highly demanding of the students.

As I said it is an international school and thus hires teachers with esl experience, not teflers. Why 8 years. It seems excessive to me too, but I guess that is the calibre of teacher they are looking for. Again a qualified primary or secondary teacher.

I am sure there are language institutes you could find work in or privates. Privates could be lucrative since there are foreign owned mines close by.
keepwalking

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the post about 'who are we teaching, the President?' No, not quite. Probably more important in fact...

Davy College serves the ex-pat mining community in Northern Peru. Far from being ridiculous that they ask for a minimum of 5 years experience, it means they offer a high class international bacclauret course which gets their students into MIT, Harvard etc. It is one of the best schools academically in Peru.

Don't mean to blow the trumpet of the opposition but they are good for a reason!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPeaking of how prestigious Davy COllege is, in El Comercio, they already have an advert out for Feb 2009 positions. MOst other schools start looking around Sept. This just gives you an idea about how picky they are.
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Basically, the only good place to work at is DAvy College and you will need about eight years of experience, no kidding, to work there. www.davycollege.edu.pe, .

....NG, the link above for Davy College has a comma in it...it's a bad link.

this one works a little better Smile www.davycollege.edu.pe
sistaray

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: jobs in northern Peru Reply with quote

I taught in Chachapoyas (the relatively far away, yet regionally linked cousin city of Cajamarca), and while I arranged for my job in advance, after my stint there I'm more convinced than ever that just showing up and talking to people would be your best bet.

Lima still clings to the word of mouth way of hiring, and provinces are the same, but like x100. Chachapoyas is far, far smaller than Cajamarca, but simply walking to its main square and asking around about English schools and institutes truly would've gotten me hired somewhere, eventually. Obviously, this depends somewhat on the size of the city and your credentials, but I think within 72 hours of being in Cajamarca, somebody's cousin's best friend, the waitress at the restaurant, your taxi driver's sister --- it'll all start linking up and you'll find something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: