Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where in Asia to go for a yank like me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sublimehusker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Where in Asia to go for a yank like me? Reply with quote

Hello All! A little info on me first: Im a 32 yr old male recently single again guy from Wisconsin, USA. Im a huge guy 6'4" 285, atheletic and decent looking if that even pertains to a country preference, I dont know how much flak Ill get for being twice the size of most people there, lol.. Im sure theyll be some snickering and "hes big as a house" comments, but Im thick skinned so thats cool. I'm looking to teach overseas most likely in Asia unless there are better suggestions. I have six years of business experience and a B.A. in Buiness, so Business Subjects are definitley a consideration and If I can make more money doing that I will but Im open to just regualr english teaching as well. I would like my first teaching position to be one where I can save or rather Id say pay off some bills back here(at least $500 a month no less), yet be able to stay and have a decent social life, IE... a few beers now and then, maybe meet some nice asian ladies for fun or maybe a serious realtionship, and maybe enough money to travel around Asia(ie..Thailand,China, Japan, Maybe Indonesia) for a weekend or two while Im in the Great continent. Im a rural type of guy so I dont have to be in a huge city, though most are over a million anyway so thats big enough for me. I am a fairly frugal guy and will spend most nights in my apartment, but I am semi-social when I want to be. Im looking to come over sometime between late May and early September, within this timeframe which is better for job prospects? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like my first teaching position to be one where I can save or rather Id say pay off some bills back here(at least $500 a month no less), yet be able to stay and have a decent social life, IE... a few beers now and then, maybe meet some nice asian ladies for fun or maybe a serious realtionship, and maybe enough money to travel around Asia(ie..Thailand,China, Japan, Maybe Indonesia)

And you want to do this in a rural environment? Japan is not for you. It will be hard to pay off $500 a month PLUS travel in Asia PLUS have a moderate social life especially if that includes dating, and especially if you are in the countryside. You'll have to be extremely thrifty (not "fairly frugal") to do this. To do this in the first year requires a LOT of self-discipline, and most newbies just aren't up to that. Not to say you are like most newbies, but I think you are asking for an awful lot in an entry-level position in a foreign land.
zakiah25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: In the meantime ..... Reply with quote

If you're waiting until May to September to leave, why don't you at least get a TESOL certificate so you'll have some sort of preparation before you go into the classroom.
You're not doing this just to meet a "good woman" are you?
sublimehusker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: let me clarify Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. I must clarify, First and foremost I want to be able to save at least $500 a month! If that means living like a tibetan monk so be it! lol, but thats more what I meant as far as being rural, I mean that I dont need excitement 24/7 or even 5/5 for that matter. As far as meeting women go, thats less of a concern, but although Im willing to live like a monk money wise Im not quite willing to do that in a social setting for a full year, that being said, My main concern is being able to put aside $500 back every month. all your comments are appreciated.
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Sigh...Here We Go Again.... Reply with quote

At first,I thought I had stumbled on the personals section by mistake.It is good you are"decent looking"(whatever that means)...although I know two or three countries where you could really clean up if you resembled DiCaprio or Brad Pitt.

Seriously(or at least semi-seriously,anyway) I am wondering why you latched onto TESOL as an option.It is your business,of course,and I realize that I can probably do little to dissuade you...but have you looked at any other options you might have? I would suggest that you do that.Teaching overseas can often be a perilous,shaky business....even at the best of times.It is definitely not the best of times right now...with the SARS scare in Asia and other places ,the war in Iraq, terrorism in some locales,etc.

I doubt if your size alone would be a detriment in most places...although you will probably draw some stares and may hear a few comments.So what? Just shrug them off.If you are going into this business,you need to develop a tough skin, anyway.In some places,your size might be to your advantage.If you are blonde,that will definitely help in some countries.

But really,I suggest you look at other options,and you will need other options in case the TESOL angle does not work out for you.Never put all of your eggs in the same basket.Good luck.Be careful. Smile
Celeste

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is your primary concern, then you probably want to go to one of three places in Asia. Korea, Taiwan, or Japan. As you have a BA, you will be able to get proper work visas in these countries. I have taught in both Korea and Japan, and I can honestly say I prefer Japan and am saving more money here, but if you come here, the relocating costs are very high.

Most companies will not pay for your airticket in Japan, and your first paycheque won't be for a month after you arrive, so it is really important to bring about $4000 with you. In Korea, often Employers will pay for your airticket, and for your first month, you can probably get set up for about $2000 or less.(I am sure that people have done it for less-I remember meeting a guy about 6 years ago who'd shown up with $200 in his pocket, and somehow survived, but I wouldn't go without at least $2000) I am not sure about the start up costs in Taiwan.

In all of these places, you will not be able to buy clothes that fit you. You should bring at least one dark suit with you. There will be formal occasions that you will have to attend, and it is best to always have the proper attire ready to go. You will either want to set up something with a close friend or relative to send you things as you need them, or you will be doing a lot of online shopping. (Online shopping can be rather expensive)

You will be able to go out for a few beers and date local women in any of these countries, but in Korea, the local guys may try to pick a fight with you if you are out with a local woman. This has happened to a couple of my friends. For this reason, I would say that you are better off NOT in a rural area. The smaller the town, the smaller the minds.

In most conversation schools, you will be expected to teach a range of ages, from pre-schoolers to middle-aged housewives and businessmen. You may be able to use your business knowledge to get some lucrative privates. (In Japan, private students are against your contract, and in Korea, they are against the law, but from what I have seen, most people teach them anyways)

As to when would be the best time to apply, I suppose that most schools would ideally want people to start at the beginning of the new school year (April in Japan; Feb or March in Korea) but second best would probably be at the start of the fall semester at the end of August/beginning of September. Others can probably give you more precise information on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: