Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making TEFL/ESOL work in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorkshire Ian

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Making TEFL/ESOL work in the UK Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thanks for stopping by. I have read many posts basically saying that the TEFL/ESOL is a very hard nut to crack in the UK. Since arriving back home and, despite what everybody says I like it here and want to stay, I have been working as a TEFL teacher in Reading.

I am paid quite well (�17/hr) But I want to get on and progress so I have been looking at doing a formal teaching qualification at Thames Valley University (also in Reading)

I have been offered a place on the DTLLS course which is a course in the Lifelong Learning sector, this will lead to QTLS (Which is equivalent to QTS but in the Lifelong Learning sector)

They say that after I will be able to work in Colleges, Prisons and even the Army.

However when looking at the entry requirements for these positions, I find no mention of the qualification I am meant to be doing so I am not sure about the demand once this has finished. I dont want to do two years of study to find that I have a worthless qualification.

Has anybody else looked into this route, ether DTLLS or CTLLS? If so what do you make of it, also if you are a recruiter what qualifications are the most valuable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have experience of HR as well as Teaching and I am also doing a NLP diploma program.
Phil_b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTLLS is a new qualification (it was introduced in September 2007), which means that no-one can possibly hold it at the moment (I think that's right)

Most colleges will ask for people who have a "recognised teaching qualification" which the DTLLS is or, like this one http://jobs.tes.co.uk/job.aspx?jobId=505488 ask for a CertEd/PGCE and Level 4 ESOL qualification - which is what the DTLLS replaces

I would recommend that you make sure the DTLLS course you take is an ESOL one not a generic one. If you take the generic course it means you will have to do an "Additional Diploma for teaching ESOL in the Lifelong Learning sector"

CTLLS is not suitable for someone who wants to be a main classroom teacher in these contexts.

Bear in mind that you can get jobs before obtaining these qualifications - with the condition that you complete the course within a set period of time. You might find that your employer will pay some or all of your course fees..
SueH

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_b wrote:
Bear in mind that you can get jobs before obtaining these qualifications - with the condition that you complete the course within a set period of time. You might find that your employer will pay some or all of your course fees..

I did C&G 4707 part 1 on that basis. Then, typical FE, they changed the courses they were offering and my contract didn't get renewed, so I didn't get part 2. I'm not sure how the C&G 4707 fits in to the new qualifications structure, though ISTR it was level 4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: