Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just show up or get a job in advance?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_chocito

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Just show up or get a job in advance? Reply with quote

Where are all the EFL teachers in Brazil? How come no one posts on this board?

Anyway, i am considering teaching in Brazil. I am CTEFL qualified, have a university degree, and have traveled thru the area last year.

I am hoping someone can give me some info regarding the visa procedure. Do most of you work illegally? Where do you go for a border run? Are there schools in more rural areas? And most important, should i try to set up a job before leaving or is it better to just show up and start looking?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping that you will get some replies to this, but in the meantime try exploring the Brazil section of my Job Information Journal at:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/latinamerica/sefer.cgi?Brazil

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
isotope75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to show up in order to get a job.
You don't need any kind of certifications either but they will help.

Most people I have met work illegally. You will probably find it almost impossible to get someone to sponsor you with a work visa. There is no such thing as a "border run". Arriving here on a tourist visa will allow you to stay in the country for 90 days. You can extend it without too much hassle for another 90 days while you are here. You can only stay in Brazil for a total of 180 days each year. If you overstay your visa they will fine you for every day you overstayed it when you try to leave the country.They will also deport you as I witnessed one day at the Sao Paulo immigration office to a man who never bothered to try to get a resident visa.He went there to get another extention but he was ordered to leave the country that day.

I married a Brazilian woman so I am "legal" now. I was given the run around by the immigration office and needed a Brazilian consulate in the US to assist me. If you have any visa questions I might be able to help.

Good luck.

William
isotope75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you might want to know is that students will demand you when they find out that their school has a native English speaker. After a few (1 or 2) classes they realize that they can't speak English very well and complain about you. I was actualy fired for not being "gay enough" for some gay students.
How do you cope with that?

I had the students e-mail address and told him that if I ever saw him on the street that I would cross four lanes of traffic just to kick his ass.

One thing you need to know is that the television industry here in Brazil is filled with gays and lesbians. If you are not on their page they will dismiss you. I refused to prance around a class room acting out scenes from Casablanca with two grown men or translating Elton John lyrics.
Just tell them that their money looks too gay to be considered real money and you can weed them out.

Some companies like Globo and Sky if you need to know.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Brazil Reply with quote

I lived and taught in Brazil for six months back in the winter of 1997-1998.. I don't know how much things might have changed, but it seems like its basically the same.

Basically, most schools simply don't offer contracts and don't give you a work visa. They kind of give you classes if they have them available, and take back classes if enrollment is down. Its really unstable in short. You have to find your own apartment, and just contract yourself out all over the place wherever you can.

Also, there is a law that your 3-month tourist visa can be only extended another 3 months.. and then after your six months is up.. you have to leave the country for 6 months.. so thats another drawback!

The other negative about Brazil, is you don't make any money.. in fact, I spent alot of my own money (well, used cash advances on credit cards) just to keep my meager existance going!!

But, overall, I loved Brazil immensily!! I've taught, lived, traveled all over the place.. and Brazil is and always will be most favorite place.. if I could get a decent teaching gig there.. I'd be there now.. but unfortunately, its a labor of love to be there..
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just show up and look for jobs in a language school.
viking_dk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Tourist visa in Brazil Reply with quote

Regarding the visas:

Temporary work permits are almost impossible to get as an English teacher. Most foreigners stay and teach on a normal tourist visa. As a tourist, you are allowed to stay a max. of 180 days per year. After the 180 days are up, the foreigner must leave, or he'll be subject to a fine once he attempts to do so later. It is NOT an option to go for a "border run."

This issue is really a pain in the a.., but If you live in Rio de Janeiro, or are willing to come to the city, I may be able to give advice on how to avoid becoming illegal. Feel free to write an e-mail to [email protected].
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: