Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of the Virgin Islands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlarcheuk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: University of the Virgin Islands Reply with quote

Hi Friends- Haven't been on the board for several months, but a job has opened at UVI and we are talking seriously. Wondered if anyone had any insights about the university or living in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Thanks-
utopiaexpress

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought they spoke very good English in those islands...
dlarcheuk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: UVI Reply with quote

Hi Utopia-

Many do! There are a few ESL jobs in the school system, but that's not what I'm asking about this time. These jobs are at the U in Speech, Communication and Radio-TV. Just looking for info.
stxsungoddess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: University of the Virgin Islands Reply with quote

I thought your post may be a little old to reply to, then I remembered you were applying to UVI and sometimes it takes a long time to get hired in such a system.

What questions do you have about the University? Or is about the Virgin Islands? I live here in St. Croix and love it. I will tell you that English is a first language here with Spanish a close second, but the Virgin Islands Creole (see Wikipedia's definition and explantation) poses some challenges in teaching basic English without considering some ESL practices, especially in regards to grammar and sentence structure for primary and even high school level students).

But your interest is not in ESL, so how do I continue? Please let me know if I can answer anything for you.
dlarcheuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Nice to hear from you! Reply with quote

Does that stand for South Texas Sun Goddess?

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you- I haven't been checking the thread, since I hadn't heard from anyone in a bit.

You are so right about the length of time it takes UVI to get back to you- and each time I think we're getting close, something else seems to come up...

So, are you involved with the U or are you an ESL teacher in St. Croix? (Or both?)

We're actually interested in both sides, because I would be with the U, but my wife would be looking for ESL work - though it looks like we would be on St. Thomas, at least to start. In any case, it would be fun to begin a conversation, if you're willing!

Thanks,

Way up north on Lake Michigan
virginislander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lived and taught in the islands for two years. Best years of my adult life.

There are four sides, known as West side, East side, North side and Charlotte Amalie, which is where the main harbor is located. Most comerce is there but East side is also highly developed. Lots of bars there and thats where you pick up the ferry for St. John. North Side is where the Frenchies live.

The West side, where UVI is located, is the least developed. It was too mountainous but more and more people are moving there because of roads. I used to run those road for hours at a time. Lots of open space, trees. Peaceful.

West Side faces Puerto Rico and you can see her on a nice day. With the exception of the airport and UVI, West Side is strictly residential. I have two friends working there now.

If you could land a job there, I would say go for it.

Check out www.vimovingcenter.com for advice.

Most people would advise you to do a PMV, however.
Vanica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Nice to hear from you! Reply with quote

dlarcheuk wrote:
Does that stand for South Texas Sun Goddess?

STX means St. Croix
STT is St. Thomas
STJ is St. John

You'll see these codes on your luggage at the airport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: