Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeling the $ Pinch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least Scot is not in denial about being in denial, so to speak!

At least he's not using the locals as his excuse, as in the all-too-frequent "This dump would collapse if we "Westerners" weren't here to run the place!"

Rrright.....
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I wonder if Saudi would shut down if the Indians, Pakistanis and other Asians decided to leave.

After having a strong dollar for years, I am glad the yen is so robust. Go yen go!
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would KSA collapse if all the Thir World nationals left?

Yes indeed it would, if you ask me.

Becoming a clerk or a doctor is one thing, but how many Saudis do you know who would clean toilets or sweep streets?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: No place to go but up Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
Once again, I agree ( Lordy, can't you post something I can DISAGREE with?). It's sort of like the situation in the USA, especially here down near the border with Mexico. If the flow of illegals ever were to be completely cut off, well, most of the fast food joints and other jobs paying mimimum wage would fold in a jiffy. But of course, neither here nor in Saudi Arabia will the situation change. Those "Third World" nationals' (the legals and the illegals) situations in their own countries are so economically desperate that even working in sweat shops here or sweeping the streets in Riyadh, separated from home and family, is an improvement. Life isn't at all fair - which is all the more reason, I'd say, why we should always try to be.
Regards,
John
basiltherat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those "Third World" nationals' (the legals) situations in their own countries are so economically desperate that even working in sweat shops here or sweeping the streets in Riyadh, separated from home and family, is an improvement.

I immediately thought of .... myself Laughing
rgrds
basil
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Streets ahead Reply with quote

Dear basiltherat,
Get off that computer and pick up your broom again. A street-sweeper's work is never done.
Regards,
John
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is that your average Pakistani taxi driver or Sri Lankan waiter is often better educated - and certainly more congenial - than many of those po-faced "Westerners" who strut around talking about how they keep the Kingdom afloat!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Dumb luck and educated misfortune Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
I know - I'll never forget the guy from Bangladesh I met in Jeddah, early on in my time in the Kingdom, in 1982. He - and about 50 other laborers - were "housed" in an apartment building not far from one of the IPA residences. Of course, in his case, he was sharing a room with about half a dozen others. We got to talking one evening and I learned he had a PhD in English literature. His English was fluent and his mastery of the subject area was very impressive. But he couldn't find any teaching jobs back home, so there he was in Jeddah, working construction. What a waste of learning and knowledge. After we'd talked and he went back to his residence, I had two thoughts: 1. It's a terrible shame that someone like that can't do what he was meant to; and 2. boy, am I lucky.
I also felt more than a little guilty for being so accidentally fortunate.
Regards,
John
MindTraveller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got over my 'accidentally lucky' feeling when a Brit said he admired Americans. I asked why. He said because their ancestors had the courage to leave the old countries and settle in a new, uknown place.

So when I run into people jealous of my heritage, I tell them my grandparents left Ireland a 100 years ago, and my father's family left Europe 2-300 years ago. Theirs could have done the same too. So don't blame me, blame your own ancestors!
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But haven't those Indians and Sri Lankans in the Kingdom had the courage to leave their own coutries in search of a better life, only to find all was not as they were told it would be? And aren't most "Western" countries these days doing their level best to deter any courageous people who come to their shores seeking a better life?

Can't say I've ever had anyone express jealousy of my "heritage". Nor would I ever express jealousy of anyone else's. But certainly, the country into which you were born has a huge effect on your future chances of prosperity. Sad but true.
Brooks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there were at least two things that bugged me when I worked in Morocco:

knowing affluent Arabs who thought they were too good to do manual labor.
And knowing people that could speak at least three languages but knowing that many people in Morocco couldn`t read Arabic.

In Japan, I have yet to hear someone say they are too good to sweep a floor
or scrub a toilet.

there are probably many Moroccans who would be glad to do menial work in Saudi Arabia. It certainly beats being unemployed. And they are native Arabic speakers.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: dollars Reply with quote

Having just spent my holiday in the Balkans where I was offered employment I have seen the error of my ways.

Even with the fall in the dollar I am still much better off in Saudi than I would be in my adopted home.

So another year .... or two......or more in Saudi.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Could be worse Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

"So another year .... or two......or more in Saudi."

Gee, I recall saying that to myself back in 1990. Ah, the things we do for money - but eating, having a roof over one's head and taking care of the family can all be addictive. Hey, as a 19 year vet of the Kingdom, I can well understand and sympathize. Besides, if you like your work, heck - there are a LOT worse fates.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well these kids of mine have got used to eating regularly. Not only that but they expect to be educated.

But you are right again johnslat, there are worse fates than teaching EFL in Saudi. I am not one of those who regret every day spent in the Kingdom.

So I am headed back and you are about to become a cop - a good one I hope. Your buddy can play the role of the bad cop.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Two-faced Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
You know something funny? I don't regret a single day I spent there. And
no problem with the good cop/bad cop scenario. Luckily enough I'm schizophrenic so I can do both roles - which should make for some interesting interrogations, what?
Regards,
John John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: