Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to teach english in the Balkans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunbear

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Looking to teach english in the Balkans Reply with quote

Greetings!

I'm looking to find a job teaching english in the Balkans. I've lived before in Ljubljana, Slovenia so I do have some experience with life in the region and I've travelled around nearly all countries in the region.

I've been e-mailing language schools in Sarajevo and Montenegro to start, but with not much success. Does anyone have any "inside experience" or contacts at good schools in the Balkans that you would care to share?

Thanks in advance,

-A
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Bismarck said "The Balkans begin in Vienna" but I would hardly include Slovenia as a Balkan Country.

There are jobs in Slovenia but the further south you go the slimmer the pickings.

Best place is Turkey and yes, that IS a Balkan country ! And no hassles for USAnians. Well not with working there.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ytuque

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught for 2 years in Novi Sad and Belgrade Serbia. The only way to get a job is to either have a good connection or to be there. Hiring from my experience was always done last minute.

Slovenia is like Switzerland compared to the Balkan countries.
nabakow30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truth of the matter is somewhere in the middle-

slovenia (not quite all!) is a balkan country, as is turkey (some- it is, after all, cross continental).

and if meaning is use, arguably more people would call slovenia, as part of the popularly dubbed 'balkan peninsula', part of the balkans and be less sure of how to refer to turkey's status.

This certainly applies to large swathes of the (global) media.

And while Slovenia is certainly more affluent than it's southern neighbours, and although it would be stupid to deny the profound influences of both latin and germanic cultures, to simply state that Slovenia is like Switzerland in comparison would be offensive to people from all sides of this 'issue'.

Not to mention untrue! Smile

As for jobs (!), they are to be had throughout the region. Slovenia offers perhaps greater security and remuneration, but also a smaller market and, at least in some ways, stricter requirements. In this region, you really need to be on the ground, or at least closer. Connections can be particularly important here, whether in Slovenia, Serbia, Montenegro etc.

Incidentally, there have been positions in both Croatia and M'Negro advertised on tefl.com recently.

Good luck.
ytuque

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nabakow30 wrote:

And while Slovenia is certainly more affluent than it's southern neighbours, and although it would be stupid to deny the profound influences of both latin and germanic cultures, to simply state that Slovenia is like Switzerland in comparison would be offensive to people from all sides of this 'issue'.

Not to mention untrue! Smile

Good luck.

In my university Western Civ. courses, what is now Slovenia and Turkey were not considered Balkan countries. Secondly, Slovenia has little of the Turkish influences that Bosnia, Serbian and Macedonia have. The Ottomans were in Serbia for 500 years. How long were the Ottomans in control of Slovenia? Never! The difference in ethnicity and stronger cultural influences of the Austro-Hungarian empire makes Slovenia much different from the rest of the Balkans. Hang out with Serbs, Bosnians, and Slovenes, and you will see a big difference.

Perhaps Slovenes would not like the Swiss comparison, but I don't believe they would have minded being compared to Austrians. If you said the same to a Serb, they would laugh.

After 2 years in Serbia, I have no interest in being PC.
nabakow30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for deleting the on-topic section of my post- regarding the possibility of jobs. With editing skills like that you've got a career in journalism or politics as surefire back-ups.

Particularly balkan politics.

Of course one notices differences between the different nationalities/ethnic groups. That's a given. But having 'hung out' with many people from all these countries, and having spent good lengths of time in them, the similarities between serbs (for example) and a large number of slovnes are at least as common and strong as those between the latter and austrians. And that would be reiterated by many in all countries.

Unnecessary and over- emphasis on difference as opposed to similarity has caused enough problems in that area.

Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: