Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stereotypical Russia - all true?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxwing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post Brooks. AFAIK 'moosa', garbage, is standard slang for cops here - the equivalent of pigs perhaps (in England). Probably it is a little more dangerous in Siberia and the Far East of Russia. At least that's what I heard. Here in Stavropol I feel pretty safe, even though it is an army town and Grozny is just a bus ride away Confused . I guess it was much worse 3 years ago though.
ibasiram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems interesting, Stavropol.. Ever been to Grozny? Is there ever any break-away activities around that area where you are? I can imagine that people must get stopped and searched quite a lot there, no?
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibasiram wrote:
Well, seems interesting, Stavropol.. Ever been to Grozny?

Well perhaps the incredibly dire warnings given by all and sundry about kidnappings of Westerners are exaggerated, but I don't care to try my luck. I doubt it would be even legal to go to Grozny without special permits etc. There are of course travel advisories issued by the American and British governments about travel around here. The American govt. says it won't help you if you even come into Stavropolskii Krai, the British govt. mentions the southern and eastern parts, bordering Ingushetia, Chechnya, Dagestan etc.

ibasiram wrote:
Is there ever any break-away activities around that area where you are?

nye ponyal Smile what do you mean by a break-away activity?

ibasiram wrote:
I can imagine that people must get stopped and searched quite a lot there, no?

One gets different reports about this. I've heard some people complain about endless stoppings and hassles by police/militsia. Personally I've been in Russia for a sum total of 5 months over 2 visits, in 3 different towns and I haven't been accosted once. Rolling Eyes
M.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: 2 cents on RUssia Reply with quote

Not an expert. but I lived for 5 years in Russia. Easily safer than anywhere in North Amerika. If you are thinking of going to Russia. GO. Dont listen to all the stereotypes by people who have never been. I love the country, culture and language. It has as many positive as negative aspects. And as I am finding out here in Japan, The ones who incessantly complain should be on an airplane home to their own country.

M....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: