Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lynden Language School, Maputo, Mozambique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Lynden Language School, Maputo, Mozambique Reply with quote

I saw an ad on tefl.com about this school in Mozambique. The pay seems pretty generous (USD1500+300 apt. allowance), although the details about the teaching/living terms are lacking.
I haven't been particularily interested in working in Africa, but this ad caught my eye and I thought I'd investigate.
I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this school?
Has anyone lived/worked in Maputo?
Input appreciated. Smile
rocketchild

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: africa Reply with quote

working in Africa, as I have can be an amazing experience.

I don't know the company, but do check it out I will send you a PM about some other tips.
haku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lynden Language School, Maputo, Mozambique Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
The pay seems pretty generous (USD1500+300 apt. allowance), although the details about the teaching/living terms are lacking.
I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this school?
Has anyone lived/worked in Maputo?
Input appreciated. Smile

It's been a while, don't know if you still need the information.

Rent in Maputo is quite expensive. Most apartments are around three bedroom size, so your place will be quite spacious, but it's likely to be pricey. I pay 450 USD per month, but my lease was taken on 5 years ago, and it will increase to 500 soon. Colleagues who arrived here more recently could not find anything for less than 700 USD per month.

It's not terribly easy to find people to share with.

There are mixed reviews about working for Lynden (as with anywhere), but they are a legitimate school who will pay you on time, and for a full-time contract they will give you assistance getting your visa. I'm not certain about the number of teaching hours, but core hours are between 4 and 8.15pm.

1800 USD is not a lot though. Inflation has rocketed here, the only cheap thing is beer. Lynden's main competitor is British Council, who I believe are also hiring. Supposedly internally, but worth contacting directly to ask if they would consider accepting external applications (if you do decide you want to live in Maputo). Bottom of the salary scale at BC is equivalent of about 2500 (24 contact hours). Minimum qualification CELTA +2years.

You didn't hear it fom me Wink
haku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added, Lynden don't give you medical insurance, BC do. BC also give 40 days annual leave +14 public holidays, annual flights, settling-in allowance, etc. Not that BC is paradise, but it's a big difference..
Global-Hobo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Haku,

Really close to just getting a flight to Maputo. Is it a good idea to turn up and look for work? I have a degree in English and Education and a TEFL and CELTA. Are there enough schools to find work?

Thanks,

GH
scjw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Africa Reply with quote

@Rocketchild I don't have enough posts to PM you. I'd like to hear your tips for obtaining work in Africa (any one can chime in too!). I've taught in Central America and Southeast Asia. I would like to work in Anglo or Francophone East Africa.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: