Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA in Manchester and summer-work options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: CELTA in Manchester and summer-work options Reply with quote

I am interested to know what the global reputation of a 4-week intensive cert. from Manchester Academy would be?

I am currently at the end of my 1st year of Uni and would like to do the 4-week course that begins next month. Is this course worth �1,050?

Also, if I did this course and got my certificate, what are my chances of finding work in Europe this summer (in Aug, Sept and start of Oct). I will not have a degree (even though I am a University student) and do not have any teaching experience.

I am also looking for some voluntary ESL work in Manchester of the next couple of months. I hope it will give me a good idea of the job and also I would like to be able to help people a little bit. Does anyone on this site have any ideas of where to go for voluntary work around Manchester?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is little work in Europe in general in August (holiday month) apart from summer camp gigs (many of which tend to be in the UK, in fact).

Since normal contracts are Sept - June, you are unlikely to be welcomed by many employers for just Sept - Oct.

The cert is probably fine, assuming that it includes teaching practice with real students.

I assume that you are on the young side for teaching abroad (since you are just finishing your first year of uni). If this is true, employers aren't going to give you priority over more mature candidates -they may be concerned about whether you will be reliable and professional, and will make a good impression on their valuable clients. Not to imply that you will not be reliable and professional at all!! Just that the general stereotype of the age group will likely work against you.
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that spiral. I am actually a rather mature 28, even though I have just finished my 1st year.

The CELTA course does have some 'practise' time. It seems to be a good course and is the one recognised by the British Council. Also, mates who teach in Thailand and China have told me that their employers value CELTA's from England higher than those from BKK or Chiang Mai.

If I did the 4 week CELTA, it would be finished by last week of July, is that too late to maybe get summer camp work in England? Anything in Manchester is FAR better for me as I can stay at home and save on rent.

i would also be VERY interested in some volunteering this summer. I have tried to contact the Chinese Community Centre in Manchester. Any other ideas? There must be loads of foreign people in Manc this summer?
wulfrun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im considering the manchester academy of english for celta too. would be doing it in august, then hopefully pick up some part-time work in the year, and summer work next year.

if anyone has feedback on celta at that place, i'd like to hear too. they run a lot of celta courses a year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: