Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNA-Q Job
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinkerno1

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: CNA-Q Job Reply with quote

Hello all, I applied at CNA-Q and have gone through interview process but haven�t received any reply back yet (more than 3 weeks now). Can anyone tell me how long it takes before they send you an acceptance or rejection letter? Thanks.
Hannibal_the_Conquerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem, and ended up accepting another job, provisionally. It was mid June by the time I received my offer. They are notoriously slow, but give it a couple weeks yet. I didn't have everything sorted and signed till July. I had to call the other job and apologize, but I didn't lose too much sleep for that.

Good luck!
thinkerno1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hannibal_the_Conquerer for the response, much appreciated.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unreasoably high salary is worth the wait. Where else in the world can you make (with a MA and 10 years experience $90,000/yr by teaching English?

The hiring is done inefficiently through Nfld so they do things slowly. They've been deparate for teachers for a long time but they seem to hire enough.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have been reading the boards and a lot of what I read about CNA-Q really seems to be coming from people who haven't worked abroad or perhaps at least in the Gulf.

For those of you who have been around the region (and have actually worked/work) at CNA-Q how do you feel about it? I can see how someone "off the plane" would lose their mind but how about those of you who understand the region?

Also, if you detest CNA-Q so much if you were a female with a masters in applied linquistics and a few years under your belt (Canadian) is there anywhere else in Qatar you would suggest?
qatarwatch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CNAQ Reply with quote

lukey wrote:
I actually worked at CNAQ for many years please read my previous posts - it is based on experience working there. As far as working elsewhere in Qatar - anywhere you would have to work directly for the Qataris would be difficult. Read the posts about other organizations- it will give you an idea. People mainly go to Qatar for the money and generally"survive" their time there and then get out

Given that CNAQ officially opened in the Fall of 2002, and didn't really get underway until the following year, your claim to have worked there for many years is a bit confusing.
mouse5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Canadians only? Reply with quote

Does CNAQ only employ Canadians?
qatarwatch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Canadians only? Reply with quote

mouse5 wrote:
Does CNAQ only employ Canadians?

Yes, that's right. But more specifically, CNAQ is a regional development program for the province of Newfoundland. They recruit first from that province, and draw staff from other regions of Canada only when required. Also, the MA/MEd preference stated in their job ad only applies to non-Newfoundlanders. Generally speaking, Newfoundlanders are eligible for these ELT positions even without an advanced degree or international experience.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm holding my breath! I'll exhale in July...and answer your questions.
thinkerno1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waiting but not so hopeful now; it has been a month since my second interview Sad .
lukey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

Don't wish too hard, you might just get the job - and then you might wish you hadn't got it
Mine's a pint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukey wrote: Don't wish too hard, you might just get the job - and then you might wish you hadn't got it

LOL, that was just what I was thinking when I read the previous posting.... don't wish too hard. I'm here and I wish I wasn't. Salary be damned.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not quit?
Mine's a pint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that simple when one has commitments and obligations beyond the workplace. Picking up and moving to something else potentially just as awkward is a bit reckless, at least in my view.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Naming names of incompetent people Reply with quote

CNA-Q is run by incompetent managers who don't have qualifications in the area they are managing. This is especially true in EFL where 2 out of the 3 managers of EFL have no EFL experience. The third manager of EFL has experience at a university but she is selfish. She doesn't care about anything but is only protecting her job. She'll do anything to hang onto her job.

Shall we name names here or keep things discrete and "safe"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: