Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qatar Petroleum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

50% of the instructors at CNAQ are EFL instructors - and the highest enrollment is in the business program - Qataris are generally not too interested in being engineers, paramedics or IT personnel. They want to be managers at Q-Tel or QP etc. CNAQ also has a "security" program where they train security guards - not many Qataris in that program either- surprise! Working at CNAQ? The pros and cons that Biffinbridge mentions sound eerily familiar to working at CNAQ - except the membership at the Falcon club.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: QP Reply with quote

When I was at QP they had a 'trickle down' system. This meant that there was a pyramid of courses, UPP (University Preparation Programme) being at the top. It worked like this; students failed that programme, even when the TOEFL score was lowered to 450 for the foundation year at CNAQ. So, the failures got demoted. When they failed that, they got demoted again. The bottom rung of the ladder was HSE security or fire. In 2003 when I left, the security and fire courses were huge.

I thought CNAQ was just a big money spinner for the Emir's wife, ie, the state oil company paying CNAQ, of which she or one of her family was the head honcho.

By the way.........when I was there there was an incident in Ras Laffan. Wanting to impress the fire trainer the students decided to hose down the fire trucks one luchtime and make them sparkly clean. Only thing is, the Qatari 'firemen' didn't think it was a good idea to close the engines' windows when they did it; result, washed out fire trucks.

In the same way that Malta received a collective George Cross, Qatar was recently awarded the 'Desert Turnip'.
tertipis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come across Griffith's job announcement for QP jobs.

How does this compare to teaching South Korean university freshmen? A lot of the complaints about this job (and others in the Gulf) seem to be eerily familiar to anyone working in a SKorean university. (Apathetic students, controlling management, etc). Is this a valid point?
Salaries seem comprable, too. With the current exchange rate, it makes sense to try and get a job in the Gulf. A new experience might be worth it, too.

Also, how does non-working life compare? I've lived in a rural SK town for about 4 years. To me, it seems that Qatar would be an improvement in terms of social life. I might actually meet/have friends w/locals, or at least, there seems to be a higher percentage of expats who aren't entirely ESL teachers.

Any comparisons to SK would be appreciated.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live on the US$, Qatar's currency is based on the dollar so you would escape the current woes of the collapsing won...

Having never lived in Korea, I can't comment on the rest of your questions.

VS
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, students are apathetic. Current salary @11,000 QR. Small apartment (1 bedroom, if you're lucky 2 bedrooms). Mainly located in Musharib not too far from most hotspots. 8 hour day. Students lazy but friendly. Colleagues, lazy/hardworking; friendly/unfriendly. Management-depends on who you are, what you do, what you say and how you work.
Bests policy, lie low, keep quiet and have a life outside the Gulag.
Oh for the days of Malachy. Malachy, we miss you!!!!
Paul in Saudi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an e-mail from an Australian recruiter for QP asking for a telephone interview.

Any other thoughts?
wilberforce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recruited by Malachy years ago. A lot of the newbies are Griffith's recruits. Just make sure you let them know that you are willing to teach any level of student, any type of student, and be at work at 6.30 a.m.
Show a willingness to adapt to the Qatar environment (the ones who have a bad time of it are the whiners who don't make an effort to accept the status quo).

Good luck.

http://www.griffith.edu.au/griffith-english-language-institute/programs-courses/qatar-petroleum-project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: