Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS: READ THIS THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember letters John? Yes it has been a long time since we used them, but even the Nigerians knew how to use typewriters (likely manual) and lick a stamp. My boss received the letter at my first office job in Maryland... it was a construction company.

The scams don't change, only the method of delivery.

And people apparently still exist who allow greed to overcome common sense.

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: BC - Before Computers Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,
Wow - I had no idea those scams went back to "pre-history" (the days of yore when people actually used pen and paper and those primitive machines called typewriters.)
I'm surprised they'd pay for the postage.
Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishmumkin wrote:
Quote:
I read it first in 1970.

VS learned to read at the ripe old age of 14 months. Laughing Was it an actual letter?

We posted at about the same time... is this to be flattery? Laughing

Yes, it was an actual letter with same terrible spelling and eccentric grammar as one still sees in the emails today. I don't recall now if it had been posted from Nigeria. It may very well have come from embassy employees since this was the Washington DC area - and how did they find this rather obscure, but up market real estate developer.

Interesting that the Nigerians have been the leaders in scams of this sort for going on 40 years.

VS
boomerang_kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: The never-ending story Reply with quote

If you've read this far, then I should tell you,
this story (sadly) continues at:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=59926
kiefer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Gulf News Reports Reply with quote

Gulf News Reported the story and according to the report, a criminal investigation is underway.
http://gulfnews.com/nation/Police_and_The_Courts/10187926.html
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the MODs about combining the threads and they thought it was a good idea except so far they haven't figured out how to do it.

So... the link is a good idea boomerang...

VS

(update: it's not possible on this softward...)

Last edited by veiledsentiments on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
kiefer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't the Mods just copy and paste all of the postings from the other threads into one then delete all but the one? Mods? What do you say?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like an awfully time consuming task for volunteers. Actually I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Couldn't you do that yourself?

VS
kiefer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,
Well, I could delete my postings, but not others' and I can't delete an entire thread. I imagine we would have discussion forum anarchy if posters could delete threads on a whim. Shocked

Actually, the more threads the merrier. Very Happy

These threads appear as hits when key words are googled, and when it comes to alerting job seekers about scam job offers from con artists who are constantly changing tactics, new threads are probably in order.

Global Recruiters for example, has changed their domain to Global Recruiting Resources and more than once they've changed the name of the school.

Now that their scam has gone widely public through Gulf News--an article that will also turn up as a hit when googled, my guess is that the scammers will not roll over and take it but change tactics or move on to another enterprise--kidnapping Chinese guest workers seems to be a lucrative low investment/high return venture in Lagos.
Twisted Evil

In the event they rethink their EFL job offer grift, a new thread would probably be in order once it is uncovered.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using links to the new threads works fine. As you say, it will make more hits.

If nothing else, you have got them working to change tactics... so at least that is an aggravation... Laughing

VS
teacherbel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: globalinkstutors.com Reply with quote

Hi!
Since you are talking about global recruitment agency. I paid 19.90 pounds to globalinkstutors.com. Are we talking about the same agency??
I hope not..
kiefer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did they request money? Why did you send it? What sort of reserach did you do first?

That's odd.

As for being the same people--no, I don't believe so. Global recruiters stopped using that name and instead started linking the UAE Ministry of Labour website to a .tk url re-router. Typically the Global Recruit scam offers a 4,400 UD package in Dubai. Global links has a legit website which only means that if it's a scam, they're willin to put up a little cash for a domain name and a server host.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest variant of this scam. This is an ad running on a Korea jobs website:

We are looking for ESL teachers available for 1 year contracts with a possibility to extend for a longer period. You will be required to teach in a new and innovative conversational English language program in Dubai. Students are Emirate citizens who are enrolled in English language course and attend classes four days a week.[Monday-Thursday]
Teachers are paid for class time and preparation time in a Eight hours daily [Monday-Thursday]

Criteria:
1) Native English speaker or proven fluency in English with English teaching experience.
2) A COMPLETED Bachelors degree (not necessarily in English). This is a must. Those who have not completed a degree need not apply.
3) Some form of training in English Language teaching e.g. CELTA, TESL, TESOL, TEFL or equivalence.
4) 1- 2 years experience of teaching English, preferably adults.

PACKAGE:
$4750USD or equivalent paid in dirham each month (tax free)
Return Airfare from home city + single furnished bedroom (own bathroom and Kitchen) within the school premesis.
Please note the school is not able to provide accommodation for families.

* This is a contract job.
* Salary: $4750USD or equivalent paid in dirham each month (tax free)
* Plus $4750USD severance pay at end of a 1-year contract
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

If you are interested,please send us your RESUME/C.V along with your earliest start date while applying for this position through
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES MINISTRY OF LABOUR
TEL:971-XXXXXXXXXX
EMAIL:[email protected]
WWW.UAEMINISTRYOFLABOURS.TK

The .tk is the giveaway that it is totally a scam... and I would fear trying to open that website.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Global Recruiters scam is morphing once again. They didn't use the .tk domain, but they're using the .ws domain from Western Samoa. The phone number is the same in the new ad, though. Check out this thread:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=64268
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: United Arab Emirates-Ministry of Interior Scam Reply with quote

I thought I'd add this ad, so it's easier to find w/ a search engine.

Atten. Mr.Najib al-Shanti Buharoon
United Arab Emirates-Ministry of Interior
Naturalization & Residency Administration-Dubai.
{Foreign Employment Visa Issuance Department}
17 Naif Rd.Deira , Dubai, U.A.E
Tel/Fax: +971 4338 1603
E-Mail:[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: