Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vaughan Systems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
s0436

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solesalsa you sound too good for Vaughan what with your qualifications and experience.
La Blanca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've applied to Vaughan and i'm starting to worry now! don't want to give up a good job and a nice flat in Scotland, move over there and have it all go wrong!!!
solesalsa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Blanca,

Have they responded to you?

I applied online in May and I've never received a response.

I've been in Spain now for over a week and I was going to try to phone them today.

I'm curious to know what happened when you applied...?

Sole
La Blanca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi sole,

i only applied on tuesday morning so i'm not expecting anything back yet... i'll certainly be following it up next week if i don't hear anything, and will let you know how it goes.

did you have any luck with your phone call? if i were you, i'd print off my Cv and take it to the office in person - they can't ignore you then!
solesalsa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've called several times but the operator tells me either that the line is busy or that the person I'd need to speak to is unavailable.

My call yesterday was the same but this time the operator was friendly and gave me a time to try back on Monday.

Sole
La Blanca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck for monday!Smile

if i don't hear back by wednesday,i'm going to hound them (by phone) til i get an answer!

i've been doing a little research and they seem the only company in spain that can give me a decent job at a decent salary... despite all my british qualifications, i couldn't even get a barjob in spain at the moment as my spanish is so rusty, so they're my only hope really :S
s0436

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email back about 6 weeks after I applied (I got the email in mid June of this year), they basically said for me to email them back if I want to arrange an interview in London or Madrid. I don't know if I am considering it because of some of the bad reviews.

Do they even give you vacation time when you are working 4 weeks a month on the contracted option?
frogtoadia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied online in early May, got a reply today saying contact them if I want to arrange an interview.
La Blanca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they got in contact with me after 9 days and one phone call to the Madrid office, and have exchanged a few emails with my questions about the job. Have to say am very impressed with them so far, very professional and courteous.

i'm a little worried that over a third of people who go to Madrid for the training are not then offered a job but I suppose that's a risk worth taking!
La Blanca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s0436 wrote:
Do they even give you vacation time when you are working 4 weeks a month on the contracted option?

from what i gather you're on a 10-month or so contract, which means you'll work the university year and then basically reapply. so you'll get a few months off but it won't be paid, though there is the opportunity to work at summer camps.

but i might be wrong! i know that with the corporate trainer option you don't get holidays at all as you're self employed.
Moore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote: "i'm a little worried that over a third of people who go to Madrid for the training are not then offered a job but I suppose that's a risk worth taking!"

...it depends when you arrive, but in September in Madrid there is so much work that you will definitely find something even if it's not Vaughan, certainly enough to hang out here for a while.

...send your c.v. around ALL the schools in Madrid, Barcelona or Berlin in one hit with our c.v. sending service... www.lingobongo.com
kelvin273

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Present state of affairs Reply with quote

Hi Polijohn, I know it's been a good 2 years since your last post here, so maybe you're not around here any more. The postings here having been very helpful for me as I'm considering applying for a regular teaching position at Vaughan. I would like to know if you are still working for them in Madrid.
steen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, this is my first post.
I worked for vaughan systems back in 2002. I did an unpaid training course lasting 2 weeks, i think.
I found the method interesting and effective and easy once you got the hang of it.
I was told of great money to be made but it never came to me.
Aswell you had to become autonomo which means self-employed and pay a monthly fixed rate tax. it took of a fair whack of your paycheck, but the theory was if you did 35 hours it was worth it, but i only did 20 a week.
I met the guy ( the boss ) a few times and he seemed nice.

thats all
Sublime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they're hiring again. I was considering applying, but after reading this forum I'm a bit unsure.
I like to balance life and work and 35 hours TEFL'ing seems far too high. I think I remember TEFL trainers in the past even recommending that you do no more than 26 hours. - unless you like being exhausted and don't have a life outside of work.

For those that have worked there. How is the teaching. I mean the method looks a bit repetitive for the teacher and talk about TTT - teacher talk time. Looks like you could lose your voice working FT. Shocked
steen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i remember the vaughan method was based on the student doing most of the speaking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: