Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where to go for Czech language lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacific

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: where to go for Czech language lessons Reply with quote

Do any of you have recommendations as to where a good place to go for Czech language lessons is in Prague?

Someone on this forum mentioned Charles University's intensive August course, but we won't be getting in to Prague till mid-August. So a semester or quarter-long course that starts in the fall would be the best option.

From what I gather, a lot of language instruction in the Czech Rep is grammar-based. I am looking for something more practical - more of a communicative approach.

I've looked around the internet a bit, but it's hard to judge the quality & style. So, I'm looking for 1st person testimonies or what the word out "on the street" is.

Thanks so much!
parrothead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied at Palacky University in Olomouc a dozen years ago, so I don't know about specific Czech classes in Prague.

Here is a link to a list of schools on expats.cz: http://www.expats.cz/prague/directory/learn-czech/0/
Perhaps someone else can offer firsthand experience.

Learn a few phrases now and some lexical sets that you can use right away. Plan on using them when you hit the ground and they will stick.

Personally, I find Czech grammar essential to effective communication. It is a doozy for sure, with the 7 cases, declensions, genders and plurals. Without it, however, you are just stringing nouns and verbs together like a caveman. It worked well for me by considering the different situations I would be in and what task I would be trying to accomplish, whether shopping, drinking with friends, ragging on Czech politicians, or taking a walk with a pretty Czech girl.
mr tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i learnt "communicatively" through Caledonian School and found the course painfully slow, as it was for Absolute Beginners and catering to different levels. in 3 hours, i was learning 1hr of "useful" stuff. then repeat, repeat, repeat.

i plan to learn, but can survive without. i'm picking up bits as I go, and am now planning to "teach myself" using a beginner's textbook. fortunately I have a lot of Czech friends to practice on. unfortunately, they teach me some horrendously inappropriate language!
Nozka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try learning Czech "v hospode."
There's at least one in every village or town and on just about any street in the larger cities.

Nazdravi!

Nozka
briana74

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Any student books that u recommend to learn Czech? is it a good idea to get a teach- yourself course (as opposed to joining a group?)
cks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the textbooks by Linda Hola-Czech Step by Step and Czech Express. I also like Survival Czech which can be checked out at the library. I have also heard good things about Colloquial Czech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: