Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I do a TEFL/TESL course in Shanghai?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Can I do a TEFL/TESL course in Shanghai? Reply with quote

Is there a program in Shanghai at all? I want to get a certification, but do want want to go all the way to HK, Guangdong, or out of the country to do the course.

I want to do it in Shanghai because I have friends who would put me up for a low cost.

Senor
--------------------------------------

This is the year of the Monkey, so in 2004 if you see a monkey poop in his hand, my suggestion is duck and cover!
struelle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I do a TEFL/TESL course in Shanghai? Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a program in Shanghai at all?

I doubted there was at first, but a poster a few months ago replied with information on TEFL programs in Shanghai. Try searching the archives.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cambrige and/or Trinity start offering courses in Shanghai soon, as this will likely be a major hub.

I've said it before, but I'd really suggest going to Bangkok. Accomodations are dirt cheap, the people are friendly, food is great, the pace of life is relaxed, and the course fees are low.

You'll work your butt off no matter where you do the course, but the easygoing locals, warm weather and delicious food make for a nice atmosphere if you choose Thailand. The best part of all is that you can hit the beach after the course is over.

Steve
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Cambridge just opened a center in China, but I can't remember if it's in Beijing or Shanghai.
The Boland school also has a center, but it's one hour from Shanghai.
millie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanghai Uni and specifically *SILC* at Zhabei campus conducted a CELTA mid last year.
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SILC seems to be very good - run by Aussies, and all AUssies are my friends!

The BOLAND SCHOOL: Attention: This place is in TURMOIL! I can't say more at this delicate stage, but more will no doubt emerge over time.

It's not a genuine "Boland" School, as far as I know; it's run from a public normal school in Xuzhou under Boland's direction, that's all.
Please: Don't apply there AT THIS MOMENT!

Another option is ZHUHAI.
MyTurnNow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that it were run by Aussies. It's run by Chinese, really, and these guys generally ARE JUST THE NICEST, SWEETEST, BRIGHTEST, MOST WONDERFUL FOLKS I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. THEY'RE LIKE MY OWN FAMILY. EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL!!! AND I MEAN THAT VERY SINCERELY.
However, the Associate Dean of the English program is an Aussie, and an exceptionally fine specimen he is. I'm in another program and we get a lot more SPECIAL ATTENTION...I think, anyway.

MT

Last edited by MyTurnNow on Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
eion_padraig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: CELTA at SILC this Summer Reply with quote

I work at SILC and did the CELTA through UTS' Insearch last Summer. I was happy with the program which was done at the Zha Bei campus. They haven't given any details yet on this program to current SILC teachers, but if it follows last year, it will be after the six week summer term at Shanghai University (about mid-July to mid-August). The cost last year for teachers was subsidized a bit but the word is it will be more expensive this year than last (last year about 8,500 yuan ~ US $1000). For teachers who worked at SILC, they let you pay half and then take the rest out a bit each month. There were 10 people doing the training last year when two dropped out at the last minute. I'm guessing first priority will go to returning SILC teachers, but beyond that they will certainly looking for others. I don't forsee enough SILC teachers wanting to do it for it to fill up with just them. The only problem we had last year was construction going on in parts of the building, which lead to noise disturbances. It was easy enough to go talk to the workers to delay some of the heavier work until the teaching sessions were complete. We did have air conditioning, which is a necessity in Shanghai summers.
Hans Klar, who is the foreign dean, is probably the guy to contact over this and his contact email is [email protected] . I'm sure he will tell you the details aren't figured out yet, but it might be good to get your name on some list.
I hope this provides some help.

Eion
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:

The BOLAND SCHOOL: Attention: This place is in TURMOIL! I can't say more at this delicate stage, but more will no doubt emerge over time.

It's not a genuine "Boland" School, as far as I know; it's run from a public normal school in Xuzhou under Boland's direction, that's all.
Please: Don't apply there AT THIS MOMENT!

Boland is much better now. It used to be in FengXian, a small village near XuZhou. The long and short of it was, the Chinese partner screwed the boland school over. So they left. Now they are near Shanghai. Being China, it's a 50-50 thing. The owner of the BOland school, Katie spends half the time in the CZ and half in China.

I used to work there. Left in Sept. due to the problems with the Chinese partner. I keep in touch with Katie and the people who work there. And they say that it is tons better now.
Lanza-Armonia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: No Problemo Senor Reply with quote

Senor,

No problemo. If you visite el website de Shane ( www.shane.com.cn ) they have mucho positiones avalible with TEFL classe' before you start to worke.

Da nada

LA
MyTurnNow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious...are these certs wortho un damno?

(But then, are any of them save perhaps CELTA or Trinity?)

MT
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the CELTA/Trinity vs. the rest. I have one from a samll private school, but am considering going to get a DELTA. Most jobs say that they want CELTA, trinity or the equivilant.
wOZfromOZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Oh, come on Senor where have you been? Reply with quote

Senor

I reckon you're drinking too much BaiJiu mate - I can remember telling you about this when you posted about it last year here.

"eion_padraigou" - can you remember me giving a demo lesson - complete with video student introductions and lots of handouts - god it was hot that day.
("Sweat" used to be my knickname among my fellow teachers back in Aus!)

Had some correspondance with Dave recently - he was advertising that the only Celtas conducted in China were done in Beijing - He hadn't heard about the summer school CELTA's done by Insearch U.T.S., Sydney at the Jiabei campus of Shanghai University.

wOZfromOZ
MyTurnNow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh, come on Senor where have you been? Reply with quote

wOZfromOZ wrote:
He hadn't heard about the summer school CELTA's done by Insearch U.T.S., Sydney at the Jiabei campus of Shanghai University.

Maybe because it's the 'Zhabei' campus. You've been in that farm town too long. Razz

MT
Susie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: TEFL Training Schools Reply with quote

TEFL Training Schools, in my view, should be externally assessed and have external examiners to second mark a percentage of TEFL trainees' exam papers. Without this outside element a TEFL training school's standards of teacher training, staff employed to train TEFL trainees, the management/administration, etc. could be very unprofessional and even nasty and corrupt.

The worst thing is that not only would you end up paying your hard-earned cash for a TEFL qualification, and try your best to jump the hurdles the TEFL trainers put before you on your TEFL course, but that if you have any valid point to make about the teacher trainers, the accommodation, the administration, the course itself, etc. you could be threatened with failure of the course and even retaliated against by the internal staff members of the school (the school and its courses need to be externally assessed on a regular basis). Accountability is important for TEFL Schools.

My advice to you is don't pay your TEFL training fees until you are sure that there's an external assessment of the school and an external examiner to check a percentage of the TEFL trainees' exam papers.

Of course, some have argued that if there were external examiners, TEFL trainees who do pass TEFL courses may not have done so, but this is too hypothetical since how could we measure or verify such an assertion.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
struelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: TEFL Training Schools Reply with quote

Quote:
TEFL Training Schools, in my view, should be externally assessed and have external examiners to second mark a percentage of TEFL trainees' exam papers.

That's the norm for CELTA, and I'd imagine Trinity TESOL also.

Quote:
Accountability is important for TEFL Schools.

It is, and so is customer feedback. When I did my course, there were no small number of hoops to jump through. Although the course was externally audited and maintained high standards, we couldn't avoid a certain degree of subjectivity. In particular, one tutor who had a reputation for being brutal in his written comments and not getting along well with the trainees.

After the course was done and we were given customer feedback forms. I would have liked to 'get back' at this one tutor for being so harsh on us, but that wouldn't be professional.

Instead, I noted that a major shortcoming with the training was that not all the tutors were available and helpful in giving concrete advice for lesson plan help. They would pretty much leave it up to us, then retreat into their office. I suggested that tutors designate a certain time for office hours where, AFTER the trainees work through a lesson plan, they can get specific pointers and guidelines to tweak it.

The current arrangement for this course is that a 1-2 hour slot is given each week where the tutor helps each group plan the next 2 essons or so.

This is good, but there's only time here to draft a rough copy of a lesson plan, and no future opportunity to tweak it. I've found the best help is when the teacher tries a lesson plan first, then has the TT look over it and make changes.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: