Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Signing a contract in dollars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redsoxfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Signing a contract in dollars Reply with quote

Is it better to sign a contract in dollars or hryvnia? It seems from my brief bit of research that the hryvnia is pegged to the dollar in some way. Does this mean that it doesn't matter which currency I'm paid in? My first thought obviously is that signing a contract in dollars is absurd given that I know my salary would decrease monthly.
Kootvela

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is legal to sign a contract in dollars, which is not the official currency of the country. It would/might be okay if they were a foreign company paying you from abroad. You need to check the legal requirements for that.

Also, it's better to sign for the local currency because if suddenly the rate of dollar falls, you will be still paid in dollar but your bread will be triple expensive. Or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Do it in hryvnia Reply with quote

Definitely do it in hryvnia.

And make them pay you in hryvnia also, don't accept dollars. It's simply too volatile in the last month or so.

The hryvnia WAS pegged at 5.05 but was adjusted to 4.85 a month or so ago and now hovers arounf 4.60 - 4.75.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Dollar is down a bit here at 4.5 - 4.6. Increasingly, don't take dollars and if you already are, make them calculate at the old 5.05 rate at the very least. Better is to be sure you are above the UAH 7500 rate which gives you a fighting chance at having some social life and a decent apartment, albeit a bit far out from center.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
redsoxfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will be paid based on the 5.05 rate--didn't even have to argue for that one.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think half and half is a good way to be paid - if you can save the dollar half, that is. The rate is already going back up and will likely be back around 5 before too long.
The Hrivana is artificially high just now and is not able to sustain this rate for long ( I am reliably informed).
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxfan wrote:
Thanks, I will be paid based on the 5.05 rate--didn't even have to argue for that one.

As it should have been. Inflation rate of increase has eased a bit over the summer but we are probably in for a new round sometime this fall. We'll have that cup of coffee and chat over the ins and outs of this market when you get to town.
BIGGESTOFA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is wierd I signed dollar contract and came out ahead?

The pay is based on dollars but deposited in local.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dollar's now around 5.8 Hrs so it's not surprising you're ahead. Definitely a good move signing an agreement to be paid in dollars. However, the way things are going, who knows what will happen? If the grivna dives again once the IMF loan honeymoon fades, it could spell big trouble for some schools. If they're paid in local by clients and pay their teachers in dollars, it'll get bad. We will see.
charlesinukraine

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the uah has been sitting at about 8uah to the $ for the past year. There is constant talk about another adjustment to 10uah to the usd. The International Monetary Fund wants this devaluation but the Ukrainian Government has been holding back.

The point is that when paid in uah a person may need to exchange for dollars (or another currency) if bills such as student loans have to be paid. Anyone needing to pay bills in another currency needs to consider issues of stability.

As noted above it is illegal for contracts to be based in dollars and to be paid in dollars, as well.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Illegal" tends not to mean a lot over here
SarahLundt

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what happens if the dollar goes down?

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: