Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BULGARIA--but not strictly TEFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: BULGARIA--but not strictly TEFL Reply with quote

Hi all. I have a job offer to be a private teacher/tutor in Sofia next year teaching some missionary kids. Having never been to Bulgaria before, I was just wondering how those of you who have lived, worked and/or travelled around there found it. Do you think it might be possible to find a few TEFL hours here and there to help supplement the income I'd be making teaching the missionary kids? From what little I know of Bulgaria, it doesn't seem like there's much extra money floating around for Bulgarians to be splurging on things like English lessons. I'm going for a week in February to check things out (to be "wined and dined" or whatever the Bulgarian equivalent might be!) Any advice you'd like to share would be welcome. Thanks!

Oh and yes, in case anyone's curious, I'm fully qualified...M.Ed, CELTA(B pass), 10 years teaching experience, blah blah blah. Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: bg work Reply with quote

Bulgarophilia is one of my problems. I cannot work there because salaries are so low.

Currently in Bulgaria teachers earn around 110 Euro a month in state schools. Rate for private lessons are around 5BGL to max 10BGL an hour (2BGL approx = 1Euro)

You cannot afford to take a teaching job in Bulgaria. The situation has changed drastically in the last few years. Life is materially not easy and there is little effective demand for native speaker teachers of English.

{Remember Economics 101 ? "Effective demand is naked want clothed in purchasing power."}
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: sofia Reply with quote

The American School is called "The American College in Sofia".
If you have qualified teacher status they may be interested in your sevices.

How are you getting a work permit ? BG is still protectionist about jobs and will be until accession to the EU allows other EU nationals freedom of movement.

When you are in BG get out of Sofia. Away from the capital it is a diferent - and better - country.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: jobs in BG Reply with quote

Having just spent a vacation at home in BG, I can confirm that foreigners will have difficulties in getteing a job that pays enough to live.

I was offered jobs but I had to turn them down because the salaries on offer were just not enough. And I have the luxury of a house, permanent resident staus and competence in Bulgarian.

Will it change as BG continues on the path to EU membership in 2007 ?

Who knows ?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Treti Mart Reply with quote

Third of March : Bulgarian Independence Day !

Greetings to all Bulgars, Bulgarians and Bulgarophiles.

On this let's remember the long struggle of Bulgaria to emerge from the Ottoman Yoke and rejoin the family of independent nations.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: hols in BG Reply with quote

Soon off to Bulgaria for my loooooooong summer hols. A chance to reflect on the economic injustice that condemns me and many others to work in the Middle East while wishing we were back home.

Will there come a time when a teacher in Bulgaria can live reasonably on a teacher's salary ?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "Miss Scarborough" trying to sell something here ? Looks like it !

(A few days later) Oh dear "Miss scarborough" has become an unperson !

That is what you get for trying to get something for nothing.
She/he/it posted here and elsewhere soliciting money for information that was generally worthless, inaccurate or out of date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: