Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware Enlischool!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Beware Enlischool!! Reply with quote

Just to keep everyone informed this school in Tianjin owed by MOD EDIT. is a definate stay away. He is married to a local Chinese girl.Anyways about the school. They will threaten you and cancel your visa with out cause. They do not pay for any of the cost of getting set up in china. basically they just use and abuse the foriegn teacher. when they leave they just get another newbie and ride them for all they are worth.
Ahchoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They do not pay for any of the cost of getting set up in china.

Should they? Is it in your contract?
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you work there?

CAn you be more specific?
jwbhomer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they would ever fire a "foriegn teacher" whose English grammar and spelling leave something to be desired.
kev7161

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on another thread said many of us regular posters pick on newbies who come in with warnings about a school and I don't disagree. All of us, including myself, could be a little kinder and gentler. However, through no fault of the new poster, many of us long-timers have seen post after post in the vein of this one. We need to be grateful for warnings but on the other hand, we also need to take them with a grain of salt. It's no surprise to hear about one dishonest school after another in this big, proud land of China. But it's also a pretty well-accepted fact that a vast number of foreign "teachers" that come here share much of the responsibility for things falling apart as well.

My advice to this OP and future ones that care to read this: A 3 or 4 sentence critique of a school just isn't going to cut it. Coming clean and sharing a little of the burden yourself may make us more sympathetic to your cause (in other words, I think the schools that completely take all the blame are probably more rare than we think -- yes, there are some cruddy schools, but what could YOU have done to make the situation a little better . . . just a little?). As many details and facts (not opinions or emotional tirades) are better than just bitter one-liners.

Just my 2 cents . . .
arioch36

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well reasoned reply Kev. I tried not to be critical when I asked for more info. Hey, most of us are willing to bash a chinese school, given alittle evidence.

But this is the second post where this poster wanted to attack schools. First it was "a lot of schools" hold back wages (not my experince) to NDI contract sucks (it does), and now a new post attacking a school (oops, and of course the mandatory "christians are bad for accepting the same wage he accepted

Give me a little info, and I will help bash
arioch36

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, a school can not cancel your z-visa, at least, not very easily, and not without serious loss of face.

Again, Kevin, in all seriousness, thanks for the Christian-like reply. I wil try to imitate
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. I never expected this.. you guys are turning over a new leaf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kev7161

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Again, Kevin, in all seriousness, thanks for the Christian-like reply. I wil try to imitate

Thanks - - considering I'm an atheist! Smile
Lildeski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide a company to go with, but all I find is bad reviews on EVERY one. First BSK, then NDI. How do you decide!? Am I looking in the wrong place!?!?
North China Laowei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Lildeski wrote:
I'm trying to decide a company to go with, but all I find is bad reviews on EVERY one. First BSK, then NDI. How do you decide!? Am I looking in the wrong place!?!?

You are looking on the wrong place...a big word of warning about the jobs on this site...this is a paying site...and very few Chinese schools can afford what it costs to put up a job ad here. The ones that put up job ads here, for the most part, but not always, are those with considerable turnover, serious management issues, or they are outright questionable. There many, many places to look, including this site, and they should all be used judiciously.
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Above the law... Reply with quote

More on this school... they have access to PSB files.. And are able to transfer files inter provience.. The Guy Shawn Otterson is a thief and liar.. used to sell used cars in Canada.. basically he is using his teachers to create a curricullum to sell to the chinese ie... stealing their stuff... as stated before they need to pay for housing and visa sh** on behalf of the employee.... Also he threatened me because of me posts.. you will notice the deleted name.. about said person..
Mister Al

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkpatrick, you seem to end up falling out with everyone you work for or claim to have worked for. Then you come on this site and bash everyone without giving too many details about how you ended up in a dispute with them. Is it them or you?

Enjoy Laos. Don't upset the locals. Wink
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Al, All I expect out of an employer is standard wages, adiquite housing, and reliable work schedual... When an employer lies about these thing for his benifit and my detriment, of course I am going to be pissed... And there is nothing like having your Z vsa canceled right before Chinese new year and being given 27 days to find a new gig...
Mister Al

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I'm sure we all desire those and I hope it all works out for you in your next gig, as you put it. Are you a singer?

BTW, my boss also likes me to be able to spell properly.

adiquite
schedual.
benifit

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: