Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resolve Disputes Instead of Bashing Schools!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kent,
Let me check. Yup, it's me. Thanks for the info. I'm heading to the airport right now.
Tee-hee.
Warmest Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just one thing to say to you ...

WELCOME HOME !!!

Hey, I saved this for you

Enter this link into your profile avatar thingy and click Submit

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Master_Index_Thailand/animated_student.gif

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Does Hillary know? Reply with quote

Dear Kent,
Hey, many thanks. I really enjoy having that little overachiever back.
Now, define "sexual relations", please (and are you REALLY Bill Clinton?)
A Most Happy New Year to you.
Regards,
John
arioch36

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnslat! Very Happy Incredible. No the other old timer I remember is Capergirl, and then all will be well

Can you prove it is really you?
denise

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, johnslat! Very Happy

d
Irish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Adding to the chorus Reply with quote

Aloha, John! Glad you're back. It's been way too long. I hope this marks a return to the boards rather than a brief visit (though even that's nice).
rusmeister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bugs Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Dave,
I think this site still needs to get some bugs fixed:

"Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Also it seems to be still mostly "under construction."

I still want to know why I am automatically logged out of the jobs forum if I go to the teacher forum and vice-versa. I even sent an e-mail to the contact address and never got a response.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Identity crisis Reply with quote

Dear arioch36,
Can I prove that it's really me? Hmmm, interesting philosophical point ('Confused') I'm reminded of how once Juan Luis Borges, visiting New York City, was taking a taxi, and the cab driver, thinking he recognized him, asked:

"Aren't you Juan Luis Borges?"

The author, after pondering the question for a while, replied:

"Sometimes."

I suppose I could ask myself a question only I could answer, but then, how would you know my answer was correct?
Perhaps the best way to prove my identity is that I'm back with the same user name, password and icon (thanks to Kent) as before - and I doubt Dave would let anyone else appropriate those.

Dear Denise,
Thank you for the welcome back. I've missed you guys.

Dear Irish,
I'm planning on being a "regular" here rather than just a "drive-by", but as we all know, it's always inshallah.
Thanks for the welcome back.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

Location: Anxious? Stressed? Repeat the following 300 times daily: A wet robin never flies at night.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugs Reply with quote

rusmeister wrote:
johnslat wrote:
Dear Dave,
I think this site still needs to get some bugs fixed:

"Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Also it seems to be still mostly "under construction."

I still want to know why I am automatically logged out of the jobs forum if I go to the teacher forum and vice-versa. I even sent an e-mail to the contact address and never got a response.

Have you tried contacting sperling@eslcafe.com for an explanation?
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem, too, but never got an answer from Dave Sperling. Sadly, I have chosen to live with the bug, but it would be nice to fix it.
rusmeister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bugs Reply with quote

Mr. Kalgukshi wrote:
rusmeister wrote:

Have you tried contacting sperling@eslcafe.com for an explanation?

Yes, I did, actually. Never got a response.

Quote:

Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
To: "Dave Sperling" <davesperling@yahoo.com>

I'm able to log in now. Thanks again!
But the current problem seems to be that when I am logged into, say, teacher forums and want to log in at the job discussion forum, I am logged out of the teacher forum automatically. That kind of makes a joke out of the little box below the login boxes that says to "remember me". I think the second cookie replaces the first cookie, when the first forum you're on is looking for the first cookie.
I'm in Russia, not Korea. I'm not sure what that would have to do with it.
Anyway, my thanks!

I thought it might be my computer security settings, but I have no problem with staying logged in to one forum. It's only on this site.
arioch36

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redsox fan (urgh!)
Quote:
Either a school is honoring the contract or it isn't. If not, I don't suppose that they would change their minds because of some non-binding suggestion from a legally irrelevant website.

At least in China, I feel this is definitely not the case. What we call "law" and "contract" does not have the same connotation. Bargaining and negotiation is constant. Very very rarely is anything decidedin a court. In such situations, the knowledge that other foreigners are going to know about the schools action would have an influence, I believe

Quote:
All of this underscores a more fundamental point: there are good schools and institutions out there (often owned/run by fellow foreigners) who will offer fair contracts and compensation, and honor such agreements. It is up to us to seek them out and to research them, contacting past and present teachers for feedback.

If you read the China boards, few schools are consistent, and few foreigners have experiences consistent with other foreigners at the same school. Also, throw into the equation that the person you are dealing with at the chinese usually only stays at this post a year or two, as a stepping stone to go to graduate school. the result is schools with little consistency with how they treat foreigners and regard contracts.
It does behoove one to do some research. But the reality in China, is that such is not a very good indication of what your actual experience at the school will be like
Saiops

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Good Move Dave Reply with quote

Dave I think it is an excellent Idea, but your going to need some regional guys in whatever country that the dispute is in.

TEFL Blacklist, um is not what it is all crack up to be. They really don't allow you to hear both sides of the story.

I have seen cases where teachers totally misrepresented what happend in the past with other teachers.

I am not going to name the school or the individuals, but it basically went down like this.

A teacher was blackmailing the school so he could get less hours so he could go to some famous uni for Chinese lessons. When he boycotted his class they fired his ass. He then wrote a bunch a stuff which hurt the school. This I saw from another Dean at a business school.

Another manager/teacher wouldn't reprimand her love interest for ditching classes. She and her friend then blackmailed the school and threatend to pull out the teachers that she had hired. They turned in their letter of resignation 2 months before their contract was up. Of course they forfeited their pay and tickets etc.. This person later goes around to all the sites and said the school ripped her off.

I mean I can go forever with the horror stories. I have seen schools jack teachers, I have seen the Police harrass teachers so they could get a bribe from the school. School getting blamed of course.

I hope your reputation in this matter gets established Dave. It would be useful. I have watched your organization for years. LOL I actually remember when I could get an ad on your site for 50 bucks LOL

Keep up the good work DAVE: Props from me , like the website improvements you been making too:)
miski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approved Schools
List of approved Schools coming soon.

Mmmmmm.....since 2007
Tumblashu's parents

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxfan wrote:

1-Doesn't this suggest that TEFL is not a real "profession"? ... She would take any dispute to the teacher's union, and their lawyers would do whatever lawyers do.

2-Either a school is honoring the contract ...from a legally irrelevant website.

3-All of this underscores... up to us to seek them out and to research them, contacting past and present teachers for feedback.

4-Now...no real professional would take a job without a contract.

5-As far as the school ranking function on this website goes--great. It would be wonderful to have a consolidated database of opinions on language schools, and I think we should all post our opinions of schools we have worked for. But I think this idea of solving problems through a website won't work. It seems like an afterthought, really.

Thanks for the detailed post. I've taken the liberty of numbering your points so that I don't get lost. This is worth following up because a lot of us end up in a lot of trouble. More so than a lot of other jobs, I bet.

1- No it isn't a real job. At least not as far as a lot of people are concerned.
a. A lot of us are 'teaching' straight out of college, with just a month-long CELTA course to back us up. Some of us don't even have that.
b. There are no unions. We are almost helpless, in foreign countries, with no support network.
c. A lot of us see this job as a way of seeing the world, while doing very little real work.
d. A lot of us aren't committed to personal development as teachers. Schoolteachers back home don't consider us to be real teachers.
e. We are almost disposable, we can be replaced by any almost any other smiling white face. Student expectations are not very high.

Bad news, isn't it? It's not the way it should be, but we are not a formidable body of pros.

2- A lot of us are in a foreign country with no recourse to an interpreter, and no idea how the employment disputes tribunals work. If there is goodwill on both sides, this may work. if not, then it's a lost cause anyway.

3- How do we seek them out? If there was a list ranking places, with recomendations etc...

4- A lot of us don't want a real contract.... How many of us are declaring all our earnings to the taxman? How many private lessons do we do on the side? If I just want a year in Thailand, I might be tempted to agree with some guy at the pub in Pattaya, and just shake on it.

5- Schools that really care about their reputations might participate. But we need to rank every institute out there.... big task.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: