Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Women in Saudi....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: At fault - but not to blame Reply with quote

Dear Jim,
Ah, that clears it up. Naif, what a prince of a guy.
Regards,
John
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Same time - next year Reply with quote

Follow-up on the Hajj tragedy:

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=39110&d=6&m=2&y=2004

Well, it IS a nice gesture - just hope the proposed modernization takes place fast enough so that the relatives don't suffer the same fate.

Regards,
John
nimra_ghalat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for a shift back to the main topic here.

I've noticed a lot of discussion about Saudi "tradition" and women covering themselves, etc. There are areas of Saudi Arabia where women did not veil themselves or segregate themselves like they do nowadays. There was a Nat'l Geo article in the 80s on the Asir that describes a male reporter sitting in a village house while women were present, and I was told by residents in Qatif that it was only after the Mutawwa arrived in droves post '79 that they were forced to cover up like they do now. The traditional covering there is a loosish thing thrown over the head, not a mask. I personally was shocked at how thorough Saudi social engineering has been: white thobes and red ghutras, period, for the whole country, while even in little places like Bahrain the men wear a variety of colors and styles. Better job than even China did, in my opinion.

Nobody mentioned Bahrain and how plenty of women there drive and don't seem to be especially immoral or molested, an example Saudis are quite familiar with. I would almost have an accident every time I drove across the bridge and a woman driver pulled up next to me, it was that weird to see one behind the wheel.

Now back to the hajj digression:

I've been on the hajj and these stampede things are entirely avoidable. Everybody rushes in a great panic to stone the pillars from the same side they approach it from, then panic and push to get away. Simply going around to the far side or moving sideways instead of pushing one's way out would eliminate all problems. There should be some sort of driver's license-style entrance exam to go on the hajj.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: