Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metro English?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mydnight

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Metro English? Reply with quote

I've considered moonlighting with them instead of doing more Merc work as my current contracts are expiring soon. I am tired of running here and there and trying to sink contracts with Guanxi alone. They have schools in Chengdu, Chongqing, Changsha, and other big cities around China.

Any experiences with these guys? Are they worth me dropping my Merc habits?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mydnight

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on? Like more than 50 views and nobody has heard of this place? NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON? heh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
voodikon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the branch in chengdu is brand new (just noticed the office like a month ago max), and their web site doesn't have any english, and the chinese information offered is sparse and geared toward clients rather than potential employees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lychee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well nobody has replied because they don't know anything about them.

Your relationship thing must have run out because you are now scraping the bottom of the esl barrel.

Metro total crap. But you already know that.

I had a couple of spies from Metro come to my demo at one of the language centres where I work. After my demo they talked to the potential students and said I was a bad teacher and you should join up with Metro. I had 4 former students in the classroom and they told them to basically piiiiss off, we like the teacher.

They pay 80 to 100RMB an hour, Get real
Ferne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is one to do lychee? It's that good old vicious cycle...they will ALWAYS find somebody to take their jobs...and eventually, someone who really needs a job will have to settle for that little, too, just to get the bills paid for. It's really a sad and sorry situation in this place!
ontheroadagain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metro English HQ is in Shenzhen (Guandong province, a town bordering HK)

In Chongqing, they use a lady going by the name of:
Yanan / Nancy
[email protected]

This lady told me a bunch of crap from the beginning.
10000RMB, teaching 25 hours, but didn't know where will I be teaching, who will I be teaching.

When asking precise questions, she always appeared to be unavailable.
She finally dropped the bomb when saying that I would be working for "a" school, but wasn't sure about students' age and schedule... However they supplied the apartment but didn't know where...

[You can ALWAYS "screw a monkey" when using two different eMail addresses, for isn't smart enough to realized that you are signing using the same name...]

I was then contacted then to my OTHER email address from Shenzhen HQ by:
[email protected]
and here after their integral eMail:

Vacancy: ESL Teacher in Chengdu, Chongqing, Xiamen, Dongguan and Shenzhen
Monthly Pay: 8000rmb-12000rmb
Housing Allowance: 1000-2000 rmb/month
Other Benefits:
Excellent working condition, Sponsor Z visa, Foreign Expert Status,
Resident Permit, Free Chinese Language Lesson, airfare allowance,
paid holiday, professional training and development, relocation
support, career development opportunities

Job Responsibilities:
No more than 25 teaching hours with guaranteed 2 days off per week.
Responsible for teaching oral English classes (between 4-12) students
and English corners (6-15) students
Aid/assist in the development of the current teaching material.
Organize educational events, parties and extra curricula activities.

Requirements
Native speakers with Bachelor degree or above, strong desire to share
western culture with our students, and the ability to motivate others.
TEFL certificate or equivalent, teaching experience required
Experience in running student activies, outgoing and friendly personality

If you are interested in working in our shcool,contact me anytime.
Contact Person: Audrey
Office: +86 0755 82805915
Cellphone: 15899780082
E-mail : [email protected]
MSN:[email protected]

We note that the salary is not 10000RMB but up to 12000 PLUS 1000-2000 rmb/month housing allowance....

OK - but and because Nancy from Chongqing wasn't cooperative enough, I decided to ignore rhis email.

Then a phone call from Shenzhen.
A lady (a little rude at first, because I never answered her email she said) and going by the name of Helen called.

blablabla - -

The truth is (we didn't talk about salary and perks) that you must be present at their teaching center 40 hours per week. No matter what, and classes are always at the teaching center.

So, Metro English is 40 hours per week and this including 25-28 hours teaching per week.
Where? Who? I am not sure and don't care.
It smells fishy as it can be... therefore they will not enjoy my sweat ...

Last edited by ontheroadagain on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adeem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sent me an e mail asking me to work illegally before even considering giving me a 'holiday' down to Hong Kong to get a visa.

Jokers.

Avoid.
ontheroadagain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeem wrote:
They sent me an e mail asking me to work illegally before even considering giving me a 'holiday' down to Hong Kong to get a visa.

Jokers.

Avoid.

Well done! - this thread should be a sticky.
drakis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With people like that, all of us here should apply for a job and then laugh in their faces.
vikuk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should start to list all the illegal offers in the scam thread
Mydnight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach with them sometimes here in Dongguan but their part-time pay is insanely low. I had to hardcore barter with them about it for a long time before they decided to call me in and even now if they can find someone cheaper, they will call them first. My student feedback is flawless and I'm sought after there but I don't get the call because I cost more.

They won't be getting any of my sweat either. Teaching there isn't too bad but I can't make myself sit anywhere for 40 hours a week unless I'm getting paid well for it. I could work back home in the US at McDonalds and make more so why would I want a 40-hour work week here?
chrisd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Metro English in Nantong Reply with quote

I have been communicating with a Sam Chapman of teachingsupply.co.uk and he says Metro English in Nantang wants to interview me. The salary would be 8,000 with 1,000 for accommodations. It took me a couple of emails before "Sam" would tell me the actual name of this "private university" since I said I needed to do some research. I am also offered 7,000 for return airfare after a year.

The school is 2 years old. But, I can't find anything about this school anywhere.

A little about me: I am certified through Oxford Seminars with a further module in Business English. I also hold a Master's Degree in Education, have been the principal of a private school in Nashville, TN and have lectured internationally on educational issues.

Any thoughts from this community? I have resumes scattered all over the world but no bites yet.

BTW, I told Sam that I was only interested in a contract that was honorable and that I didn't want to waste this school's time interviewing since everything seemed so vague.

One other thing: a couple of months ago I turned down a contract from Siyuan in Xi'an because the contract was so vague I couldn't make out what they were actually offering. Since then, I've heard some really bad things about this school.

Are there any schools in China that treat teachers with respect? Or, is everyone looking for work in China desperate for a job? CD
mike w

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A little about me: I am certified through Oxford Seminars with a further module in Business English. I also hold a Master's Degree in Education, have been the principal of a private school in Nashville, TN and have lectured internationally on educational issues.

With these qualifications why are you wasting your breath and time talking to a two-bit monkey outfit.

Start looking at universities, and contacting them directly - you should have no problem. The pay isn't great, but neither is the work load. I was getting 6000RMB monthly plus apartment plus full return airfare for teaching 8 hours a week plus 4 'office hours'. I pulled in another 10,000 a month from private teaching with the full knowledge of the university. In fact 4000 of that came from a part time contract for 8 hours a month from another department within the same university.
chrisd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Metro English in Nantong Reply with quote

Truth is, I don't even know where to begin.
gengrant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisd,

with your qualifications, sign up with ISS or Search and get into International school teaching...better all around compared to ESL teaching...

send me a PM if you need more info.

Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: