Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age discrimination in Spain?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Age discrimination in Spain? Reply with quote

A friend of mine asked me if employers care about age in Spain. Nobody ever mentioned anything about my age at interviews but I'm 27 so I suppose they would not consider that too old to teach. Do you know of any over 40's teaching in Spain?. I don't really know any so maybe there is some discrimination.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Over-40s in Spain Reply with quote

I met loads of older teachers when I was there, and never heard of any age-discrimination (I was pushing 40 myself when I left).
The Spanish aren't stupid. They're well aware that many kids go there straight from university simply to have a good time and learn some Spanish. Students therefore appreciate having teachers who are dedicated, reliable and actually know what they're doing.
Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree: I've met many teachers of more advanced years (when you're as young as me, though, everyone's old) and that it's what the teacher can do in the class which matters to the majority of students, not how old they are or appear to be.
avahanian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
I have to agree: I've met many teachers of more advanced years (when you're as young as me, though, everyone's old) and that it's what the teacher can do in the class which matters to the majority of students, not how old they are or appear to be.

When I first taught in Spain I was 23, and was by far the youngest teacher at my school.

I hope this gives the OP an indication of the age of teachers in Spain.

But being young definitely has its advantages, for one thing, you'll find it easier to get along with the Spanish teenagers/young adults!
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Spanish teenagers Reply with quote

I disagree. The most fun I had was teaching 15 and 16 year-olds, and I was 39 at the time. It's your attitude, not your age that counts.
brighton74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Age of teachers in Spain Reply with quote

I don't agree that most teachers in Spain are young.

I have worked for a lot of language schools in Madrid and there have always been young teachers who come over for a year or two... But, I've seen teachers of all ages. Many teachers at my current school are very close to retirement age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: