Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving from GDL to DF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistie3k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Moving from GDL to DF Reply with quote

I've been teaching in GDL for over a year, and am missing the big city. I know it's the 2nd largest city here, but it's still got the suburban feel for me, especially since I have no car and the Metro is pretty useless unless you want to go to the countryside.

My (also) female friend and I are seriously considering a move to DF, and have been hearing lots of negative things (especially from the Tapatios, but well...)

Anyway, I know the pay should be higher in DF, but how about the cost of living? Would it be possible to afford a 2-bedroom apartment on 2 EFL teachers' salaries, or are we doomed to eternal boarding-house life as we are here?

I've got 6 years of experience teaching general and business English, but have had nothing to do with kids. Does that matter? Any university opportunities?

I'd appreciate any input, especially if you are currently (or have recently) lived in DF.
dan allan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: MOVING FROM GUAD TO DF Reply with quote

You'll do fine here. I'm an expert on this topic having lived in both places-here in DF the last 3 years. Lots of work and you'll easily be able to pay for a 2 bed place;should run you around 5000 PPM. Let me know if I can provide additional help.

Dan.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Guad/DF differences Reply with quote

Dan...

What's your opinion on the differences between Guad and DF for work and cot of living? I've also spent time in both places. My one issue between the two is the difficulty in finding affordable accommodations in DF. A two bedroom for 5ooo ppm sounds good, but what about deposits, cosigners, and utils? What's your experience?

Guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: rents in DF Reply with quote

Rent costs -- good question. I have heard that they can vary a lot from neighborhood to neighborhood in DF. If my current job prospects pan out, I would be looking to live either near my son's school (western DF, Colonia de las Americas) or in the north (Municipio de Atizap�n de Zaragoza). How does one find out things like rents, deposits, etc? Are there web sites at all? or am I being too American here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Rents in DF Reply with quote

Tough question...the best work is done from the ground in Mexico City...even better is to have friends or family.

Most of the stuff I've seen online is geared towards executives coming in from the US...Polanco and Lomas at 2,500 US a month and up.

Here are some links to local newspapers that can help.

http://avisos.reforma.com/default.asp?ya=1
http://www.aviso-oportuno.com.mx/pls/oportuno/ao_home.html

Guy
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Guy - this is a big help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: