Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL Work in London?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiquitita

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: ESL Work in London? Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm heading over to the UK with a 2 year visa and I'd like to know about the opportunities for teaching ESL there, especially in London? I know there are a lot of private language schools...do many vacancies come up there? Is there a high/low season for these language schools?

I have a degree, CELTA and about 5 years experience teaching and training.

What can I expect?

Thanks!

C
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can expect low wages and lots of competition.

The cost of living is so high in London.
leeroy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola,

there are millions of private language schools - the pay averaging around �10 an hour for CELTA teachers. Most don't have very experienced teachers - someone of your education and experience should have no problem finding a job.

Aim high - some nice schools are...

The Hampstead School of English
International House
St. Giles

Alternatively there is ESOL, which is teaching in colleges and teaching refugees. I really don't know much about this side of it - but it pays much better.
chiquitita

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again and thank you for the replies and the recommendations.

Leeroy, or anyone who has any info, could you tell me more about teaching refugees and in colleges?

Thanks again.

C
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeroy's advice is sound - aim high. There are a few really good ESL jobs here in the UK. However, there are also LOTS of qualified ESL teachers around, some of whom will be subsidised by spouses with better paid jobs in other sectors.

Here on the South coast there are lots of Summer jobs with the usual big chains (EF, STS, etc etc) but perilously little for the rest of the year. FE college teaching jobs are few and far between but these are usually good employers, as are UK universities that usually have some element of ESL teaching for their overseas students. Colleges and universities offer much better hourly rates, but often very few hours.

I don't teach ESL in the UK - I am a biologist and make far more money doing a few hours of university teaching and coaching visiting US students through MCAT medical school entrance tests. Later this year I hope to go off to Indonesia where ESL teaching makes more sense!

You can only really rate countries based on how ESL pay compares to the local average standard of living. Most UK ESL teaching - especially in popular centres like London - will net you a wage well below average.

I can't speak for publicly funded work with refugees as I have absolutely no experience of that field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: