Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your personal experience of teaching in France Questionnaire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mesomorph

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Your personal experience of teaching in France Questionnaire Reply with quote

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can bless me with some of their precious time to fill in parts or all of the following questionnaire

Your personal experience of teaching in France

1. What teaching qualifications/experience do you have? Where did you get them?

2. How long have you been teaching in France?

3. How would you define TEFL in France? What makes TEFL in France different from/similar to TEFL in other countries? What is unique/idiosyncratic about the system?

4. What type of institution do you work in/have you worked in, in France/elsewhere?

5. How did you find out about the vacancy you now occupy?

6. How did you go about preparing to get the position? How long did it take to get it from the moment you first realised you wanted it?

7. Do you think you could work in another position in another type of teaching institution in France, with your background? How would you go about transferring to this position?

8. What are the 3 most important things a young teacher looking for a TEFL position in France should remember?

9. How would you sum up TEFL in France?

10. What is the best lesson you have taught for conversation?

Thnaks to you all, you are wonderful!
mesomorph

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you guys come on help me out!

Guys/girls like

bsjess, lolwhites, rogan, Nmarie, Luder, sally2005, go2guy, sheema.doshi, medusa

could really help me out here
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the purpose of this questionnaire?

Who is it for ?

You can find such anecdotal information and opinions scattered through these threads
mesomorph

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogan wrote:
What is the purpose of this questionnaire?

Who is it for ?

You can find such anecdotal information and opinions scattered through these threads

The purpose of this questionnaire is to help fellow teachers out, and to share information.

It is for anyone that wants to read it.

I have searched for hours for answers to these questions including your posts rogan but have not come up with the answers I had hoped for.

Will you help out?
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 B.Ed M.Ed Celta and Delta

2 Since 1990 off and on

3 What's different? In Russia I teach Russians, in the Middle East I teach Arabs, in Africa I teach Africans. In France I teach French people.

4 State colleges, State Unis, Ecoles Superieures, Private companies like IBM etc, Teacher Training institutes

5 advertised vacancies, contacts in various Rectorats,

6 varies from a couple of weeks to a couple of days

7 Yes, put the word out amongst people that I know, watch newspaper ads or specific vacancy boards in France.

8 Have the right to work legally in France, speak good French, network.

9.Not too different from TEFL in other countries except that I pay tax and social security contributions here.

10 Get a copy of all the Reward Activity books and use/adapt the activities.

But, hey, what do I know ?
mooseontheloose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relevant qualifications - MA in Applied Linguistics (Canada), CELTA (Australia), 7 years teaching experience worldwide

I'm in my second and last year.

3. How would you define TEFL in France? What makes TEFL in France different from/similar to TEFL in other countries? What is unique/idiosyncratic about the system?

I don't think French students are that different from other students other than pronunciation issues. The system -- is very large and is different for everyone depending on where you work and in what position.

4. What type of institution do you work in/have you worked in, in France/elsewhere?

I work at an engineering school (an �cole sup�rieure) that is part of a university. I have taught in universities, language programs attached to colleges/universities, company classes, language schools, and tutored privately in other places (Japan, Australia, Canada).

Daves ESL Cafe!

6. How did you go about preparing to get the position? How long did it take to get it from the moment you first realised you wanted it?

Nothing. I was asked to interview two weeks after I mailed in my application, received the job offer a week after that.

7. Do you think you could work in another position in another type of teaching institution in France, with your background? How would you go about transferring to this position?

Yes, however, I work as a full-time but temporary Maitre de Langues which means that after my two-year stint is up that I can no longer work in such a position in any other public university in France. Due to the inherent nature of the system I will not be looking for other work in France when my contract is up this year.

8. What are the 3 most important things a young teacher looking for a TEFL position in France should remember?

1 - even though teaching EFL is my chosen profession, I would recommend to any young EFL teacher to choose another field of work
2 - the main benefit of teaching in France is LIVING here -- the pay is low, taxes and social service contributions are high, and the red tape and bureaucracy is a nightmare, even for the French. I don't regret coming here, but I'm not staying -- it's not worth the effort. Also - be aware that in many places they are cutting down the number of teaching hours which is making it harder to earn a decent salary, even for those of employed in a proper full-time role. For example, here at my school we have to effectively teach twice as many hours in order to 'qualify' for our salaries.
3 - There are a lot of rules in France, but the French selectively ignore them (look at the way people drive here, not pick up after their dogs, etc). I say this, as a Canadian, who did not have the legal right to live and work here, but got the job anyway. However, since we (me and the school) did everything by the book as early as we could, I was given an extended residence permit to live here (beyond the initial three months) and was told quite strictly, that I was forbidden to work. However, they knew I was working so it was (wink, wink) alright if I continued to do so. This attitude of bending the rules is quite common I think, but you already have to be 'in' the system. It took 15 months (!) for me to get the legal right to live and work here, even though I've been doing so (with government knowledge) since Sept 2006.

I can only base this on teaching engineering students who are, by definition, not interested in languages. English is the lingua franca of the world today, and like it or not, people need some proficiency in it in order to get ahead professionally. People learn it because they have to (I'm assuming there are some who are genuinely interested in learning it for other reasons) but not necessarily because they WANT to.

Bring in some knowledge, stereotypes, whatever of French culture and expose it to your students in a positive way (through games or brainstorming or just a conversation) and see what results. I've learned more about France that way (and my students) than through any other technique.
bsjess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Q+A Reply with quote

Your personal experience of teaching in France

MA from the nor defunct University of London Institute of Paris. A tragic loss for teachers seeking higher education in teaching ESL.

Seven years and counting....

Actually, I recommend you visit the TESOL France website where I will soon put up an answer to this question in our new FAQ list. There you will find all sorts of links on what it's like to teach in France.

I am an independent. I founded my own freelance company, so I work directly with companies and universities.

Denny Packard et al. Though, not to toot my horn, thanks to word of mouth, I am now contacted by prospective clients.

I spend several hours preparing for a 40h course. I write up a syllabus, timeline and course objectives. That way it becomes a contract between me and the students and it relieves me of last-minute throwing together of classes.

I am prepared and qualified to work in any environment that offers a challenge and involves interesting people.
However, that doesn't mean I accept every position that comes my way. If I feel fellow teacher were a better "fit" for a group of students, I would give her/him a call and offer to pass along the gig.

8. What are the 4 most important things a young teacher looking for a TEFL position in France should remember?
1) When you start out, you will be a HORRIBLE teacher.
2) Don't take anything personally. Just get back to working on your technique.
3) Read as much as possible on teaching. Even if you find it boring - you will learn SO much from your peers.
4) Join TESOL France!!!

A challenge, but worth it.

A lesson I made myself -- a role play about a real-life incident in a zoo where a boy was bitten by a bear. It's great because it works with doctors, lawyers, parents, administrators, businessmen - the whole lot.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: