Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Married to a Colombian...moving to Colombia...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mini81

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Married to a Colombian...moving to Colombia... Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm looking for some general information/advice.

I am a Canadian (live in Toronto) and I'm a certified teacher. I've been with the Toronto board for 3 years, I have qualifications in ESL, as well as experience teaching in Korea during the summers.
I have been married to a Colombian for the past 4 years and I will be making my first trip to Colombia. We are actually planning on moving to Bogota (where she lived most of her life) or Cartegena at the end of this school year (August/Sept 2009).

Given my education and experience, in what sort of environment should I be looking to work? Int'l school/University/Private school? What type of salary should I be looking at as well?
Ideally, I would like to work part-time for a while because I'd like to travel a bit and live a little. Plus, I'm hoping that my wife can continue with her previous career and carry the load a bit.

Also, I'm assuming it is best to find a job after I show-up. Is this correct? How will this affect my ability to get a visa?

Thanks for taking the time guys/gals. I appreciate any information or advice.

mike.
Daddyo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a Canadian too, also married to a Colombian. We got married in Costa Rica, and I obtained a residency visa for Colombia from their embassy here. I'm planning on moving there in January, so I'll keep you posted on what I find.

All I can tell you is that Jan/Feb are the best months for finding ESL teaching jobs pretty well anywhere in Latin America. For some reason the institutes put off hiring till the last minute and then there is a mad scramble for teachers.

Feel free to PM me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: