Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hired as a local or foreign?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: hired as a local or foreign? Reply with quote

I will be moving to Cairo the first week of August. Unfortunately, I didn't apply for a teaching position ahead of time; I am hoping it�s not too late. I know from my limited understanding that it is better to apply as a foreign than a local. Can anybody tell me the pros and cons? Also what will be my chances of being hired once in Cairo and how to start? I am an American citizen but not a native one; However, I am a certified teacher with a Master�s degree in education. As for my daughter I looked on line for some American and British international schools, they are very pricy we can�t afford them. What are the other alternatives? Thank you.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...first I would suggest you do whatever you can to secure a contract from outside the country. You need to bombard as many schools as possible w/ your CV stating that you'll be "visiting" Egypt in August. As a qualified teacher educated in the US w/ an American passport you should have a lot of opportunities. Some schools might be filling last-minute posts-especially if a teacher decided not to return and/or enrolment is up. Tell them that you're visiting friends, but would like to secure employment while you're there.

The pros of an expat contract? More money, flights for you and your family once/year, accommodation...it's really a no-brainer. There is absolutely no benefit to being hired on a local contract. Women married to Egyptians are often only given a local contract. If you are married to an Egyptian I would count on this happening no matter what you do.

Most schools in Cairo will offer either a discounted tuition rate for your kids or include free tuition in your salary package. Good schools are hard to come by, too.

A word of caution: A lot of Egyptian schools tend to prefer to hire people who fit a stereotype of the typical "westerner." I've come across a few people who felt they were discriminated against based on their skin colour and/or their outward displays of religion. Oddly enough, more Muslims have complained of this than anyone else. I hope that helps.
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the useful information. I have been checking some of the best schools as I expected all the teaching positions for next September are filled!! BTW some of the schools don't advertise on their website Crying or Very sad
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a lot of those websites are not well-maintained. I would send your CV off to the HR person now letting them now that you're going to be in town as of _____. Many schools will need someone last-minute. Aside from Cairo American College, I would try applying to American International School, Modern English, Misr American College...do a search on the Continental School. Someone on this forum had very positive experiences. I can guarantee that certain places like Choueifat and Sakkara will hire you, but as you're a qualified teacher I would aim higher. Lots of new schools being built every year, so there are many opportunities. Be prepared to be very flexible. Most schools in Egypt are run like businesses, and management style is very different from N. American. It takes some adjusting...
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again thank you so much for your input. I will do just that and I will keep you posted. I am so glad there are people like you in this forum, it is an overwhelming experience, and any help is more than welcome. Smile
cseeley24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: finally got hired as a foreigner Reply with quote

hi. i have been in egypt for more than 6 years now and have just this year been hired as a foreigner. i can tell you that Hayah School in katamaya may hire you as a foreigner depending on what you can teach. i was there for 2 years and i loved it but recieved a better offer from other school. they are fair and the management really cares about the students, emotionally, socially, educationally, etc. they are great and they offer a good discount for your children. if you are hired as a foreigner, the package is supposed to be good,; a local it is better than most schools offer. good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: