Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Kharkiv like?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vairocana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: What's Kharkiv like? Reply with quote

I read in some other posts which stated Kharkiv is a pretty good place for teaching and living. Any helpful insights would be greatly appreciated, especially in regards to a new teacher stating out in that city.

Thank you
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: A mixed bag Reply with quote

is how I would descirbe Kharkiv. My comparisons to Prague, Lviv and Kyiv would include:

more gray (some would say even bleak)
noticeably less European
less busy
smaller marketplace

On the other hand.....

smaller (than Kyiv)
still has a metro
good restaurants (and CHEAPER!)
nice park in center of town
more sedate (reference those comments about less busy and smaller)
I met some nice people (except the one who lifted my wallet)

Truth is, I liked it. I almost went there after a couple of disappointing weeks in Kyiv, but decided to stick it out here instead. I can't say it was a bad decision because the job thing eventually worked out and I started a relationship that proved to be very long-term. Yet, I think I would have been happy there too.

There is an IH, a BC and a couple of other medium-sized schools, plus several independent schools. You don't make as much but, last I heard apartments were running at about 60% of comparable Kyiv flats. The town is small enough to encourage a lot of walking and there are a lot of students there. The park is a great place to stroll around in the evenings although it was disconcerting when the lights went completely off around 9:30 PM.

Things may have changed so keep fishing for more fresh information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vairocana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks again for the insight Reply with quote

Thanks ecoks, I really appreciate the info. I been surfing Dave's for the past 3 months getting info on the best places for me start in. Kharkiv is one city that seems really interesting. I also been looking that stats of Wroclaw in Poland, and also Brno Czech Republic as other possibilities.
ytuque

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in Kharkov for 4 months if you need any info.
Vairocana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Actually I do have a few question or two still? Reply with quote

Hi ytuque

Thank you for your help.

How many private English schools are in Kharkiv?
Which ones has the better reps & working conditions?
How is the private tutoring in Kharkiv?
Are there a lot of business people/students seeking English privates?
Are there any fitness centers in Kharkiv, about how much are then a month?
In terms of supermarkets do they have a large variety of international foods?

I think that cover the essentials
ytuque

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many private language schools here... upwards of 25 would be my guess with IH at the top of the food chain. Clearly IH has the best reputation but will not take you full-time without a CELTA. My girlfriend found a list of private language schools. I will try to post the link. $5-10 per hour.

Private tutoring is hit or miss. I have one private student who pays me $10 per hour for 10 hours per week. Local teachers are getting $7-8 per hour. It doesn't seem too difficult to find private lessons. There are plenty of wealthy people here. The problem is there isn't much of a middle class.

I have only checked out a single fitness center with decent equipment. It is $50-60 per month depending on what hours and days you sign up for. There are gyms which are one step above having some weights and an exercise bike in your garage which are really cheap.

International food is very limited even at the best supermarkets here which would be Billa or Rost. There is a bit of Italian but forget Japanese, Mexican, etc.

Getting a local school to sponsor a work permit will be difficult with the exception of IH. The main problem is housing! Rents are $500+ anywhere near a metro with good access to the center. $375+ further out and $300 if you are will to taking a bus to the center. Bus service is sporadic so I don't recommend this option.

Any reason why you are interested in Kharkov? It seems there are a lot more opportunities in Kiev. BTW, Kharkov is a Russian city so don't expect to learn Ukrainian here.
Vairocana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: It seems more folksy as far as a cities go Reply with quote

Thanks again ytuque,

I read that Kharvkiv has the largest concentration of students and smallest number of ex pats of Ukraine�s cities, those two attributes ranks very high for me. Also, I would like to learn Russian and hence another reason why I'm interested in that city since it's in a Russophone region.

A smaller city that's walkable is another plus. The gym situation seems good to me. I may be young, but I'm old school when it comes to workouts. Very Happy
ytuque

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are students everywhere. Lots of Chinese, Arab, and African students as well. There are very few western ex-pats living here. There are a number of dating agencies here that bring in men from all over to meet the local girls.

The city is very walkable. I use the metro or walk and rarely have to get a taxi.

This definitely a Russian city. My impression after 4 months is that the Ukrainians are friendlier and more open to foreigners than the Russians.

The level of English language knowledge here is quite low. Unfortunately, there isn't much money to be made teaching here.
Vairocana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: I don't want to be struggling from check 2 check Reply with quote

Thanks again ytuque,

If the money is that bad it might mean living on a extremely scant budget, well in light of the money situation this city might be out. I currently don't have any desire to be in another Ukrainian city, so I guess I'll shift focus to another country. The teaching situation in Russia seems abit too volatile to navigate.

I also have been researching Poland, and there appears to be abundant work throughout that country. I guess Poland has moved back into the #1 spot.

Smile
Slinder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering Kharkov myself (in the States at the moment getting together my plans). Being a Russian city, are the locals friendly? Additionally, does anyone have information about the American English Center? Is it reputable? Additionally, how is Dnepropetrovsk as a livable city in comparison? Thank you
ytuque

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the locals friendly? Hmmmn... I would say for the most part yes. I had a few drunks say some things, but after I started wearing a Russian style hat and coat, I haven't had any trouble. Some of the old folks especially the women have nasty dispositions. The kids are friendly. The women are extremely friendly:)

In general, the Ukrainians that I meet are friendlier/nicer than the Russians, but most of the Ukrainians that I know are from small towns and villages. It just may be a city versus country situation.

I haven't heard anything about the AEC. I sent my CV about 1 year ago and received a don't call us, we'll call you response from Jonathan Pernick. The locals that I know have nothing to say about AEC.

I have only been to Kiev, Sebastopol, Kharkov and a couple of villages so I can't comment on Dnepropetrovsk.

The Ukraine can be a good place to live if you have a source of money from outside the country. Teaching English just doesn't pay well here.
Travel Zen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Kyiv towards foreigners who are visibly different than they are? You know, the scary looking darker skinned people who will eat thier children...or whatever people think about dark skinned people ?

Better than Russia? I'm always interested.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ytuque wrote:
There are many private language schools here... upwards of 25 would be my guess with IH at the top of the food chain. Clearly IH has the best reputation but will not take you full-time without a CELTA. My girlfriend found a list of private language schools. I will try to post the link. $5-10 per hour.

Private tutoring is hit or miss. I have one private student who pays me $10 per hour for 10 hours per week. Local teachers are getting $7-8 per hour. It doesn't seem too difficult to find private lessons. There are plenty of wealthy people here. The problem is there isn't much of a middle class.

I have only checked out a single fitness center with decent equipment. It is $50-60 per month depending on what hours and days you sign up for. There are gyms which are one step above having some weights and an exercise bike in your garage which are really cheap.

International food is very limited even at the best supermarkets here which would be Billa or Rost. There is a bit of Italian but forget Japanese, Mexican, etc.

Getting a local school to sponsor a work permit will be difficult with the exception of IH. The main problem is housing! Rents are $500+ anywhere near a metro with good access to the center. $375+ further out and $300 if you are will to taking a bus to the center. Bus service is sporadic so I don't recommend this option.

Any reason why you are interested in Kharkov? It seems there are a lot more opportunities in Kiev. BTW, Kharkov is a Russian city so don't expect to learn Ukrainian here.

These hourly rates seem very low to me. I charge $35 per hour in Kiev. Is Kharkiv really that much cheaper?
GabeKessel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel Zen wrote:
How is Kyiv towards foreigners who are visibly different than they are? You know, the scary looking darker skinned people who will eat thier children...or whatever people think about dark skinned people ?

Every three or four months another African student is found dead. Do a google on it. But they all are young men, not women. Usually, non white women seem to have it so much easier as they are seen as exotic and sexy whereas men can be seen as threats and competition.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GabeKessel wrote:
Travel Zen wrote:

Every three or four months another African student is found dead. Do a google on it. But they all are young men, not women. Usually, non white women seem to have it so much easier as they are seen as exotic and sexy whereas men can be seen as threats and competition.

I don't think they are seen as threats and competition. These are racist attacks by racist thugs, who don't give a monkey's about whether or not the people they beat and stab pose any kind of threat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: