Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pollution levels in Taipei?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
murman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: pollution levels in Taipei? Reply with quote

Hi,

My wife and I have been offered work in Taipei. We have been offered 55,000 dollars a month each (no appartment included).

I know this is a general question, but what are noise and air pollution levels like. I've been to Bangkok and my eyes ran from the pollution in the air. I've travelled in Thailand and am currently in Chiang Mai, in the north. They have banned large buses here, so everyone rides noisy, little motorcycles. They are everywhere - in swarms on main roads, up every back alley. SO noisy compared to cars. I've stayed in many different hotels. The guests are quiet, but the noise from the street, even the backstreets is incredible. Music, barking dogs, motorcycles.....

What is the air like in Taipei, is it choking, eye-burningly bad?

We are very interested in going to Taiwan, and just want to get some idea before committing ourselves.

I know that we can expect some noise and pollution anywhere in Asia so please, no answers like 'if you don't like noise and pollution you shouldn't come'. I just want to gauge Taiwanese levels.

Thank you
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pollution here is quite bad. Strangely, though it doesn't rate as one of the top ten worst in Asia. Noise pollution is similarly quite bad. It's not just the traffic. The Chinese don't value quiet the way westerners do. Noisy is fun.
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Motorcycle pollution Reply with quote

Will be worse than Chiang Mai...I went to Chiang Mai just afew months ago and got out due to breathing exhaust fumes from motorbikes in....I could of got that experience anywhere in Taiwan. Taipei isn't too bad pollution-wise anymore....Kaosiung is probably the most polluted city in Taiwan due to largely being a port town-however don't expect your whites to stay white for long. Firecrackers are common place and after a while they stop waking you up as often. However things like the MRT subway system means Taipei's pollution has reduced slightly in the last few years.

Taoyaun Steve is right the attitude to noise is that it is fun. 'renao' is how the Chinese describe it which approximately means lively.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a problem dealing with high levels of pollution you will have a problem dealing with everyday life in Taiwan.
The Chinese on Taiwan are compulsive liars. Pollution levels on Taiwan are as bad as, if not worse than most other cities in Asia. As the R.O.C. government is totally incapable of dealing with it they just use old, outdated and easily manipulated pollution detection sensors and calculating methods to hide the problem from you.

A.
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Hiding it? Reply with quote

I find Aristotle's posts laughable most of the time although some are useful...not being personal as I have looked at his webpage, I just don't think a lot of conspiracy theories have validity either. The pollution indexes are published in the daily English papers. There is an East Coast that few foreigner see that is reasonably unpolluted especially in comparison to the West Coast.
EOD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand the current methods for evaluating air pollution in Taiwan are comparable to the new and improved clean air act redefined by the US administration.
St Vitus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Taipei foul due to the pollution levels. However, the situation was exacerbated by working a 6-day week. On the seventh day, I rested in my apartment with a hangover. I'm sure I'd have coped in Taipei working a 5-day week only. Yangminshan National Park and other natural paradises are only a stone's throw away and the air is perfectly clear.
If you can tolerate Monday-Friday coughing and choking, award yourself with a breath of fresh air on a Saturday or Sunday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: