Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ups & Downs

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thursday12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Ups & Downs Reply with quote

Uppers

- good news - more moolah � small recent pay raise but not jest not enuff
- more moolah � overtime classes /cont ed classes but same people getting the jobs
- CEA accreditation people gonna check things out � hope everytin�s up ta scratch
- inexperienced newbies ecstatic cause they�re overpaid
- weekly news update real helpful
- gettin rid �o some trashy books so curriculum lookin up
- lotta interestin & cute newbies
- gonna get some greens fer Al Zuhoor ta prettify da joint
- most teachers busy bees but some guys get away with doin real little
- release time for lucky stiffs
-BB real cool but just too much info & not enuff time to digest it

Downers
- cost �o livin skyrocketin - jest getting way too high � some stuff doubled in price
- more hrs/wk but ya get paid extra if ya do more n� 18 hrs
- salary discrepances - big sore point� newbies wid hardly any experience get same as teachers wid 10 yrs or more- makes people real mad � experience don�t count fer much
- salary discrepancies based on appraisal system another sore point but it all depends on yer appraisal, if they likes ya, ya get above expected, if they don�t, tuff
- some 'o the people doin appraisal untrained & not impartial � too much bias & some nasty comments on some people's reports - real demoralizin
-attendance at meetins mandatory - or else ya get yer knuckles rapped & a nasty warnin to beware � some people real cheesed off bout dis
- too many meetins
- spyin still goin on so yo gotta be careful
- too much non-teachin work overload � committees, committees �n more committees
-contract renewal comin up so people waitin ta hear if they�re gonna face the executioner (like bein on death row if ya know what I mean)
- too many unprofessional decisions & assumptions made �bout teachers
- some people getting release time �n doin nuttin (makes some people real mad)
- teachin is real hard work fer people wid 18 or 20 hrs/wk
- some courses overloaded wid too much ta cover � gotta be realistic
- rollin contract system real unfair
- still takin forever ta get ta work from Zuhoor

Conclusion
-pretty OK place � better �n before but gotta stop firin people
-fire ta hire policy shows poor decision making from academic board dudes
-gotta be more practical and keep staff instead �o givin them stress every year
-so we�re all hopin fer good news
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering where you expect to find a university level employer in the Gulf (or elsewhere) that doesn't require you to attend the meetings... take part in committees... where your actions are not watched to make sure you show up for class... and with which one doesn't find lots of teachers who think the pay scale is unfair... or where the renewal system is an effortless breeze that everyone is happy with...

Nirvana doesn't exist in the Gulf...

So often it seems that teacher's complaints are with the parts of the system that we "ain't neva gonna git to change" to write in your low class quasi-American vernacular. Laughing

VS
toughcookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"low class vernacular"???

vs,
you gotta relax about the way thursday writes. she or he provides pretty impartial and objective information that may actually help someone thinking of coming to work at QU. it is an update of sorts, and all true in fact. pretty well organized aswell, if you ask me.
so get off your high horse and let the guy express him/herself already! who appointed you "stylistics police" anyway? are you gonna get on my case for not using capital letters??? Rolling Eyes

tc
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toughcookie wrote:
"low class vernacular"???

vs,
you gotta relax

Relaxing for me is very easy. But for someone who always posts about worrying about being renewed... I'd assume that his/her employers may not be terribly impressed. But I agree that the posts are mostly a fair evaluation... even if written in an irritating vernacular that does the poster no credit.

As a long time writing teacher, I find both of your posts rather insulting to our profession... or perhaps one of the reasons why so many places do not treat us as professionals. JMHO...

VS
toughcookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, then, vs, consider yourself offended!
however, I don't believe that there is anything offensive in thursday's posts.
shame you should take something like this so seriously...

I also do not believe that thursday is worried about his/her job. he/she is merely reporting that it is the current general atmosphere over at QU. this is completely true and can be a valuable piece of info for anyone considering a job here. you wouldn't know this as you do not work here yourself.

anyway, just because people choose to express themselves one way or another doesn't mean that it is the only way they know. the fact that universities in this part of the world and their management teams do not show us any respect has nothing to do with how we write on dave's.

thursday, please continue your updates!
tc
bje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, toughcookie and thursday12 you are somewhat 'joined at the hip', I've noticed. Nice to see such 'unified' support. Quite a few people post under several names- what a good idea!
toughcookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very funny, bje... I am not thursday12 though... been trying to figure out who he/she is for almost 3 years now...
do you also post as vs yourself? Laughing
tc
bje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with VS. I'm commenting on you and your funky alter ego.
toughcookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever you say...
tc
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: