Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you still save in Qatar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: 2 bob Reply with quote

Before I went direct hire at QP I worked for Herr Malachy at zee Oflag QAC, with all the weirdos, penny pinchers, alcoholics and misfits. Not sure which group I was in. Anyhow, we had to sign in every morning in front of Oberst Saffa. It was a pain because he could smell booze on a windy day 10 metres off.

The Gulf is full of nonsensical work rules that simply make one's life a bind.

These laws are usually implemented by a clueless hierarchy and policed by people unfit to do anything other that look at a watch and mark the timesheet 'late' or 'on time'.

As for the expat Training Directors? Well, they're usually onto a good thing and having spent years being skint in EFL usually become the very worst of the 'Shaft Brigade'.

As for dignity...that flies outta the window. It's only about the money in Qatar as the students never fail.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malachy had a pretty good reputation. I often used to contact him for references for teachers who had applied to Jubail, and he seemed scrupulously fair.
DesertStar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you hire professionals and treat them as professionals, you don't need to treat them like uneducated factory workers.

Watch out VS,
Don't you think there're many 'undedcated' factory works out there who have good work ethic. Uneducated and unprofessional don't always go together.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DesertStar,
Funny how different inferences can be drawn. When I read VS's post, I didn't see it as a slur on the "uneducated factory workers", but rather as one on the ignorant higher-ups who treated them so badly.
Regards,
John
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Stephen Jones Reply with quote

Reputations come from the rumour mill. I was there on the ground.

Malachy interferred in your private life and definitely had his favourites. He lacked the balls to support teachers who had problems with QP. He was also often at the centre of the gossip factory. His decision making was arbitrary at best. He didn't care, he was onto a good thing.

I don't know why you asked him for references at JIC as he never bothered to watch anyone teach.

References would have been based on whether he liked you or not or whether you tolerated him on the rare occasions he turned up in the bar and waxed lyrical.

You know Stephen, plenty of QAC rejects ended up at Jubail Industrial College, including some of my good buddies. His approval meant very little.
DesertStar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,

Perhaps your interpretation is right, however, I went back and read both of VS's postings on here, still came back with same interpretation (my own, that is Smile )

Have a second look:
Quote:
Common sense?????????

I have never signed in for any job anywhere. In 15+ years working in business in the US, I never had to do that. In 15+ years in education - almost all in the Middle East - never once did I sign in or out and would have been highly insulted to be treated in such an unprofessional and disrespectful manner.

And... it is very much treating one like a factory worker who is paid hourly. It is treating one as if one is so immature and uneducated and unprofessional that one can't be trusted to do one's job. The day I was asked to sign in and out would have been the day I turned in my resignation.

VS

Quote:
I have taught in private universities and government universities in Kuwait, Oman, Egypt and the UAE... and none ever suggested signing in or out. At some there were specific hours, but no 'time clock' or little list to sign. Nor did any teacher - senior or otherwise - ever have the right to fire another teacher.

In the US (and also Canada I suspect), they hire professionals who are required to be there to teach their classes, have X number of office hours a week, and attend departmental meetings.

If you hire professionals and treat them as professionals, you don't need to treat them like uneducated factory workers.

You have made a wise decision BM. Find a more professional employer.

VS
redeyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least we now all know to avoid the school where "word_to_the_wise" works.

I'd wonder that any teacher would put up with someone like that. In most UK schools , and I am sure US schools, teachers would simply tell management like that to get lost.
Manuel Geere

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Gulf characters Reply with quote

[quote="sharter"]
Quote:
Before I went direct hire at QP I worked for Herr Malachy at zee Oflag QAC, with all the weirdos, penny pinchers, alcoholics and misfits. Not sure which group I was in. Anyhow, we had to sign in every morning in front of Oberst Saffa. It was a pain because he could smell booze on a windy day 10 metres off.

I think that, apart from the "penny pincher" group, you have described yourself pretty well Paul.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to sign in at the Gulag but then it's a corporation, not a university. I've never hear of a university that makes you sign in but then I've never worked in one

Saving in Qatar: A big problem with inflation and cost of living.
Rents are very high and a lot of places are trying to economize by renting out smaller, cheaper units for their staff. It's really important to get a job that provides accomodation and airfare. Otherwise, no point coming to Qatar.
ckhl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for where word_for_the_wise got his MBA, hmmmm...He probably had to save a lot of box tops from his cereal packaging every morning.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herr Malachy was a benevolent tyrant. At least he knew how to manage people and he was never unfair. He gave you the benefit of the doubt. So while he had some questionable personal practicies, at least he ran the Gulag in a civilized way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: