Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the cheapest, chain supermarket in London?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris ! Did you know that his grandfather (great-grandfather ??) was the last Minister of the Interior of the Ottoman Empire ?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Boris ! Did you know that his grandfather (great-grandfather ??) was the last Minister of the Interior of the Ottoman Empire ?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Well, Uncle Scotty, did you know that the great-grandson of the last Minister of the Ottoman Empire is the Mayor of London, the capitlal of the British Empire! Laughing
Pelican_Wrath

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the Toon rather than London, but I find Iceland is pretty cheap for some things, especially meat, compared with other major supermarkets.
fractal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: my tuppence Reply with quote

My favourite is Lidl but there are lots of other options, especially if you have the time and dedication to spare.
Sommerfield is good for the sommerfield-labels; cheaper than Lidl but the choice is extremely limited. Spar is not bad, either - especially the "Eat Me Today" offers. Tesco, Asda, Morrisons - the late shopping deals are a bargain.
Gusss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tescos. no doubt.
Pelican_Wrath

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH supermarkets in Britain are a ripoff. THey give the misimpression that they are cheap but having certain things at discounts or 2 for one offers and so on.

You need to get thyself in an area with a large minority contingent. They tend to have the cheapest shops.
BenE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Netto in the North is known as being the cheapest you can get. That's where I did my student shopping when times were tough.
tobiascurious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Supermarkets in London Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:

Don't forget large food stores such as Marks and Spencer drastically reduce food prices at about 10 minutes before closing time (otherwise they have to dump food, or send it to the Salvation Army). This is very popular with students, and they start queuing at about 30 minutes before closing!

M&S never reduce prices in that way
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Supermarkets Reply with quote

I don't know where you are in the UK, but this definitely happens in Leicester, Sheffield and some London branches. It is regularly reported in the "Big Issue" magazine. Also Asda and Sainsbury's.
Pelican_Wrath

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bread shop in Soho in the west end which does this. They make really expensive yuppie-orientated bread but at 7pm every wednesday they hand it out for free. When my brother was squatting and didn't have much money he used to cycle down there and get a load.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tips on how to live like a pauper on a TEFLer's wage. How utterly depressing.

I'd say get yourselves a real job, but there are precious few of those around at the moment.
Pelican_Wrath

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true; it's hard enough living in the capital on a half-decent wage like 25k a year, never mind the pittance which TEFL jobs pay there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: