Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Lima

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Lima Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm Andrea, and I'm new to all of this and I had a few questions. I really want to teach English in Lima. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish, and I am in my second year of teaching at a private school in the States. However, I do not have my certification. Will I still be able to find good jobs? I would really prefer to work with children at a school. Also, are there any programs for obtaining a TEFL in Lima? Is it even necessary to get my TEFL? I won't be able to go down to Peru until mid June/early July. Are there even jobs available then? Thanks so much in advance!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, first off, why Lima? It's really not that nice. But anyways, if you're intersted in Lima, there are plenty of places to work at. Without a license, you can't work at the top schools, but you could get decent money, expect about 1K to 1500 usd a month. Have the school pay taxes, or else you'll lose 30% of your salary.

BUT, what do you want to teach? English? I don't think you'll get a job teaching Spanish here.

YOu need to apply ASAP, the school year starts 1 March. The fact that you'll be arriving in June or July means that you'll be taking over in August for those teachers who quit or got fired.

Nix the TEFL, you don't need it. Just a degree. Make sure the school gets you the visa too.

I sent you a PM with lots of info, if you have more questions, let me know.
jayde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information! I want to teach English in Lima, because I've been there and I enjoyed it. I also know a few people there as well. However, I'm open to other places; I just don't want to work in Cusco. Any suggestions? Thanks!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When and how long were you in LIma? It's nice in the summer, but there's nine months of cloudy, smoggy, dreary weather.
Trujillo and Arequipa are nice as well. Piura's hot.

As far as TEFL certs, none are in Lima. There are some in Cusco and one in Trujillo and Arequipa. But it's not necessary.

If you're still up for Lima, check my PM
jayde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Lima in June/July for about a week.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayde wrote:
I was in Lima in June/July for about a week.

Usually, when you go to visit for a short time, almost any place looks nice. I've been in Lima for almost 2.5 years and was in Piura for two years. Lima's ok, but I spend 3 hours a day on the bus, going to and from classes. Plus you'll always be a small fish in a big pond.

Smaller cities, I think are better. You might want to look into Fleming. Do a search here and try sending your CV.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: